These are frequently asked questions about your licensing environment.
Can I rename the license server?
License files run only on the license server for which they were made. More specifically, license files contain the hostname or binding identifier of the license server you specify when you allocate the licenses. You cannot use the license file that you generated, which specifies a particular license server name, or a MAC address (in the case of an appliance.), with a different license server name or appliance.
Create new license files that reference the new server name or MAC
address by reallocating and generating the new file.
If I upgrade my license server will it affect my license files?
No. The license server and all product licenses are fully backward
compatible and will not introduce any issues into your environment.
Can a single license server supply licenses to users connecting from different servers using different product editions?
Yes. One license server can contain licenses for multiple editions
of a Citrix product. The type of license checked out corresponds to
the edition that is configured on the product server. A product
server is configured to consume an edition of a license and
therefore will check out that edition of a license.
ProductServerA is configured to checkout Enterprise licenses.
ProductServerB is configured to checkout Platinum licenses.
LicenseServer1 contains both Enterprise and Platinum licenses.
- Users who connect to LicenseServer1 from ProductServerA will check out Enterprise licenses only. Once the number of Enterprise licenses on LicenseServer1 is exceeded, new requests from ProductServerA users will be denied until existing Enterprise connection licenses are released.
- Users who connect to LicenseServer1 from ProductServerB will check out Platinum licenses only. Once again, if the number of Platinum licenses on LicenseServer1 is exceeded, new requests from ProductServerB users will be denied until Platinum connection licenses are released.
Note: License checkout times may increase if many product servers with many users are contacting the same license server simultaneously. One license server can only accept 4000 inbound TCP-IP requests at one time. If you are planning to have more than 4000 computers connecting at the same time, Citrix recommends that you use several license servers.
Examples of Possible Deployments:
Scenario 1: Two farms
- FarmA contains product servers configured for Enterprise edition
- FarmB contains product servers configured for Platinum edition
- One license server (shared)
- User1, User2, User3, User4…User2000 connect only to FarmA
- User2001, User2002, User2003…User4000 connect only to FarmB
Scenario 2: One farm
- The farm has two sets of published applications
- One set of published applications is hosted by product servers configured for Enterprise edition
- One set of published applications is hosted by product servers configured for Platinum edition
- One license server (shared)
- User1, User2, User3, User4…User2000 connect only to product servers with the first set of published applications
- User2001, User2002, User2003…User4000 connect only to product servers with the second set of published applications