To use single step upgrade feature, the MCN must run a version which supports single step upgrade. For example; SD-WAN 9.3.x.
In release 9.3, a single step upgrade package using the SD-WAN GUI change management option to upgrade non-SD-WAN components in the network for all applicable platform editions has been introduced. The MCN distributes all necessary software components to the sites (Branch) in the network.
After the branch receives the upgrade component files, these can be installed at scheduled time intervals as specified by the user. If the scheduled time is not specified, it uses the default time which is set by MCN for all branches.
The MCN also generates packages for sites on demand. Download the active package from the active hyperlink under the Download LCM package. You can bring or boot strap a new site into the network using this package. All software components will be installed using the Single Bundle Upgrade (.tar.gz) package. The MCN keeps a copy of the software.
Pre-requisites to Perform Single Step Upgrade
- Have the SD-WAN 9.3 Virtual WAN software installed. Use the existing upgrade procedure to upgrade from any previous release version to the current 9.3 Virtual WAN software version. Do not use SBU (single bundle upgrade) procedure to upgrade from an older Virtual WAN software version to 9.3 version.
- After the SD-WAN 9.3 Virtual WAN software is installed, follow the single step upgrade (.zip) procedure to upgrade WANOP components and XenServer supplemental software packages. You can use the SD-WAN GUI to schedule upgrade of these additional components through the Change Management Settings page. The above pre-requisite does not apply for upgrading from release version 9.3 to the 9.3.x latest build version.
Change management upload error occurs, if you attempt to perform single step upgrade (.zip file) from previous versions to 9.3.
It is recommended that you use build version 9.3.0.x and above to use the single step upgrade procedure.
2. Export the saved Config file to Change Management by selecting Export button, and choose destination as Change Management Inbox.
3. Click the Change Management hyperlink to navigate to the Change Management page.
4. In the Change Management page, upload tar.gz software package after downloading from the download server. Provide the location from where to upload by selecting Choose Files.
5. After selecting the file(s) to upload, click upload. A progress bar appears showing the current upload progress status.
6. After upload is successful, the uploaded files are processed for any invalid errors.
7. After upload processing is successful and no upload errors are observed, information about the appliance models for which software has been uploaded and processed is displayed.
8. Click Next to proceed with Validation of Configuration file, and appropriate message is displayed based on the validation results. Accept and proceed with changes.
9. After accepting validation results, the License agreement page is displayed. Click Accept and proceed with suggested changes.
10. After accepting the license successfully you are navigated to the Appliance Staging page. Click Stage Appliances.
11. A transfer progress bar appears showing the current upgrade process preparation and transfer status for each site is displayed.
12. After preparing of package is completed, the transfer progress bar shows as 100%, click Next.
13. In the Activation page, Staged software package can be activated.
14. After clicking Activate Staged, user acceptance pop-up message is displayed. Accept and proceed as displayed.
15. After accepting the message by clicking OK, the package gets copied to the Appliance Staging state.
16. As this is the first time Appliance is being staged, you will be taken to the Local Change Management Page for activating the local appliance.
17. After clicking Activate Staged in Local Change Management once again user confirmation is requested to proceed further.
18. After accepting, the activation starts with a countdown timer of 180 seconds.
19. After the countdown timer expiration, you will see message indicating that activation has completed.
20. Now navigate to Change Management page to download the local change management for respective branches that you need to bootstrap to the network with only SD-WAN (Virtual WAN) software upgrade, or else proceed to the next step.
21. Perform Change Management once again. For this step, the upload file would be of single step upgrade package with ns-sdw-sw-9.3.0.x.zip file.
22. After the uploaded file is processed based on the configuration, software for applicable models are uploaded.
23. Click Stage Appliances to proceed further.
24. License agreement page is displayed for acceptance.
25. After accepting and clicking OK, you can perform Appliance staging for Preparing and Staging the packages on the branch sites.
26. After transfer is completed, click Next to go to the Activation page.
27. After activation is completed, you will be redirected to the Local Change Management page as the upgrade is being performed for the very first time on the MCN and no branches are yet bootstrapped to the network.
28. After Local Change Management activation, you can go to the Change Management page, and download local change management package for corresponding branches from active hyperlink under Download LCM Package.
Local Change Management Procedure - Branch Appliance
1. Login to the corresponding branch appliance which needs to be bootstrapped into the network and navigate to Local Change Management page. Upload the local change management package that was downloaded from MCN for this branch.
2. After file to path is chosen to be uploaded, click upload. Upload status progress bar appears showing the status of upload.
3. After upload is completed, a message displaying the following text; Upload Complete, now click on Next appears.
4. You are now redirected to the activation page where you can choose to activate staged software or cancel it.
5. After clicking Activate Staged, you are asked to confirm the changes and proceed further.
6. After accepting the confirmation message, activation countdown begins.
7. On completion of countdown, the Activation Complete message is displayed. The appliance change process has finished, and you can click Done.
MCN transfers relevant software packages to branches, if paths are available after activation is completed. You can enable SD-WAn service and observe that virtual paths are up between the branch and MCN sites.
Transfer of non-SD-WAN (Virtual WAN) components, such as WANOP, SVM and XS hotfixes begins if virtual paths are up. Scheduling information in the GUI is available only on an MCN appliance in the Change Management Settings page.
Upgrade Procedure to 9.3 with Virtual Paths Established between MCN and Branch Sites
1. Upload the software package cb-vw-<ApplianceModel>-9.3.0.x.tar.gz for the branch sites that are defined in configuration file which should be upgraded to 9.3.x software version.
2. Upload and verify configuration. After the configuration is completed successully, proceed with license agreement.
3. After accepting license agreement, you are navigated to the Appliance Staging page where appliances can be staged by clicking Stage Appliances.
4. Proceed with preparing and staging the software packages to the appliances.
5. You are now navigated to the Activation page. You can activate staged software by clicking Activate Staged and confirm to start activation by clicking OK in pop message. After completion of activation countdown, click Done.
Perform Change Management after upgrade to software version 9.3.x
After the appliances are upgraded to 9.3.x , you should perform Change Management again by uploading single step upgrade package, ns-sdw-sw-9.3.0.x.zip file from the product software download server.
After the change management procedure is completed successfully, navigate to the Change Management page. You can check the transfer status of WANOP, SVM, and XenServer Hotfixes for applicable branches only.
Configure Change Management Settings
1. From the Change Management Settings page, provide scheduling information to schedule installation of non-SD-WAN (Virtual WAN) components for each branch. By default, the MCN schedules installation every day at 21:20 PM local time of the machine based on software availability on the branch appliances.
3. For more information or help on the scheduling information, you can click the help icon.
If Change Management is performed for the first time to bring the appliance to network, you can download LCM package using the following:
a. Existing LCM package which contains only Virtual WAN packages and proceed with the LCM workflow on the branch to add appliance to network. Once paths are up, MCN transfers necessary files to the branch needed for further upgrade of non-VWAN packages (i.e., contents of single step upgrade as needed).
b. Download LCM package by clicking on active hyperlink. If tar.gz files are used to perform the Change Management, then this active link will not download the software and there is no error thrown. This contains Virtual WAN software and all the necessary packages required for each branch. Using this, you can bring the appliance into network and also upgrade all relevant components immediately without waiting for the maintenance window. This will reduce the effort of logging to each branch and performing single step upgrade.
The upgrade package file size can be as big as ~800 MB and might take time to start downloading.
Supported Upgrade and Downgrade Scenarios
Following are the supported upgrade and downgrade scenarios for SD-WAN SE and EE appliances. It is assumed that we are upgrading Virtual WAN software first and then upgrading the other components after the required software is staged at the branch sites or on the MCN.
Factory shipped appliances
You can download local change management package from MCN and apply it on the factory shipped appliance. After the local change management package is applied to the branch site boxes, all relevant components are upgraded immediately without waiting for maintenance window, if applicable.
Appliances with legacy Virtual WAN software
- The appliances currently in an active network with virtual paths up and running.
- In this case, the appliances receive packages from MCN. The components are installed all the files from MCN are received and it is in the scheduled time window.
2. The appliances are currently out of the network with virtual paths down.
- In this case, the process is similar to the appliances which are factory shipped. You need to download local change management from MCN and upload the package to the branch site appliances.
Appliances with single-step upgrade support
The appliance stages multiple files applicable at the branch site based on the appliance model and platform edition. The version information is reported by the branch site and/or configuration options, if applicable. The branch site appliances perform the upgrade utilizing the staged files. The non-Virtual WAN software components can be installed based on the preferences, manual and/or schedule.
Version switch or revert
Downgrading to a previous version of Virtual WAN software is supported. With single step upgrade process, you can install WANOP software packaged with a given Virtual WAN software version. You can only upgrade hotfix and/or SVM versions if the software versions in the packages are higher.
Single step upgrade to legacy Virtual WAN software support
You can re-install the legacy software with the required configurations (using tar.gz files).
Downgrading to previous software version
If you upgraded an existing software version to release version 9.3 using the tar.gz upgrade process, you can downgrade the software version to a previous software version.
If you used the .zip (single step upgrade) procedure to upgrade to version 9.3, you cannot downgrade the software version to a previous software version.
Single Step upgrade in High Availability Deployment Mode
During single step upgrade if HA flip happens then, you need to switch back to the old primary appliance manually, or upload the single bundle package to the new primary appliance.