Consider the following options when deciding which server to use as the license server:
- Single system: install the license server on the same system as Provisioning Services. This option is suitable for evaluations, test labs, or implementations with one Citrix product.
- Stand-alone: install the license server on a separate system. This option is suitable for larger implementations or implementations using multiple Citrix products.
- Point to an existing license server.
For detailed Citrix licensing information, see Licensing.
Licensing grace periods
There are two types of grace period:
- Out-of-box grace period is 30 days (720 hours). Initial installation of the licensing server provides startup licenses for all Citrix products. Startup licenses expire after 30 days. The 30-day countdown begins when the product prompts you for the startup license for the first time. Provisioning Services product licenses must be installed during this period. A startup license for a Citrix product is voided if a license for that product is installed, regardless of whether it is valid or invalid.
- License server connectivity outage grace period is 30 days (720 hours). If connectivity to the Citrix License Server is lost, Provisioning Services continues to provision systems for 30 days.
When Provisioning Services is in a grace period, administrators are notified through warning messages in the Provisioning Services console.
When a grace period expires, all target devices are shut down.