To add a signature rule category
Putting signature rules into a category enables you to configure the actions for a group of signatures instead of for each individual signature. You might want to do so for the following reasons:
- Ease of selection. For example, assume that all of signature rules in a particular group protect against attacks on a specific type of web server software or technology. If your protected web sites use that software or technology, you want to enable them all. If they do not, you do not want to enable any of them.
- Ease of initial configuration. It is easiest to set defaults for a group of signatures as a category, instead of one-by-one. You can then make any changes to individual signatures as needed.
- Ease of ongoing configuration. It is easier to configure signatures if you can display only those that meet specific criteria, such as belonging to a specific category.
- Navigate to Security > Web App Firewall > Signatures.
- In the details pane, select that signatures object that you want to configure, and then click Open.
- In the Modify Signatures Object dialog box, in the middle of the screen, beneath the Filtered Results window, click Add.
- In the Add Local Signature Rule dialog box, click the icon to the right of the Category drop-down list.
- In the Add Signature Rule Category dialog box, New Category text box, type a name for your new signature category. The name can consist of from one to 64 characters.
- Click OK.