To install the App Layering service, you deploy the appliance to a virtual machine on your hypervisor.
- Requirements - Make sure you have the XenServer requirements listed below.
- Install the App Layering appliance in XenServer - To install the appliance, you download the installation package and install it on XenServer.
- If the appliance needs a Static IP address - You can set a Static IP address by accessing the appliance configuration utility.
- Next step - Links to steps for installing the App Layering agent and configuring the App Layering service.
To start installing App Layering, you need the following:
- A supported version of XenServer
XenServer account and privileges
A XenServer account to use for App Layering service.
The account must have XenServer privileges to:
- Create and remove virtual disks.
- Copy and delete layers on virtual disks by using XenServer file APIs.
- Citrix XenServer software and settings Access to the XenServer Tools to install on the layer.
- XenServer resource information The XenServer info listed in XenServer Connector Configuration.
Install the App Layering appliance
To install the App Layering appliance on XenServer:
- Check the contents of the installation package.
- Deploy the appliance.
The installation package, citrix_app_layering_xenserver_4.x.x, includes:
|xenserver_x.x.x.ova||OVA file for the appliance virtual machine|
|citrix_app_layering_agent_installer.exe||App Layering Agent installer|
|citrix_app_layering_os_machine_tools.exe||OS machine tools|
Deploy the App Layering appliance
Extract the download package, citrix_app_layering_xenserver_4.x.zip. The files included are previously listed.
Extract the xenserver_elm_4.x.x.x.ova file to a folder on your local drive.
In your XenCenter client, select File > Import.
- In the wizard that opens, select the following values:
- Import Source - Browse to the source on your local drive.
- Location - Choose the XenServer where you want to deploy the appliance.
- Storage - Use the default value to put storage disks on the Local XenServer Storage.
- Networking - Select the correct network for your XenServer configuration.
- Security - This tab is not available. Click Next.
- OS Fixup Settings - Select Don’t use Operating System Fixup.
- Transfer VM Settings - Choose the correct network and choose DHCP.
- Finish - Review your settings and then click Finish.
Switch to Notification view and wait for the deployment to complete. The process can take 20–35 minutes.
Switch to Infrastructure view.
Select your new appliance, which has the name: CentOS-7_x86_64_build_template_xenserver.
Click Properties, and enter a new name and description for your new appliance. The new virtual machine has 8 GB of memory and 4 CPUs.
- Type the IP address for the new appliance, and log in as ”administrator” with the password “Unidesk1”.
The first time you log onto the appliance you are required to change the App Layering administrator passwords, For details, see Change administrative passwords.
Be sure to install the App Layering Agent, if your environment requires it. See the next section for details.
If you want the appliance to use a Static IP address
You can change the appliance’s IP address and/or its DNS servers. When the appliance is first deployed, the DNS settings are retrieved through DHCP. If DHCP is not available and you will be using static IP addresses, once you select Static, you are prompted to enter the IP addresses for your DNS servers.
- Log in to the Appliance Configuration utility, as described above.
- At the Action prompt, enter C (for Configure Networking), and press Return.
- At the next prompt, type D for Dynamic (DHCP) or S for Static. If you choose Static, you will be prompted for the IP address and Subnet mask, along with default addresses for the Gateway and DNS addresses.
- When prompted, enter Y to save settings.
- At the Action prompt, enter Q to quit.
- Restart the appliance.
Once the appliance is installed and the IP address is configured as you want it to be, you can install the App Layering agent, and configure the App Layering service: