Preparing for installation
Before you install your new appliance, carefully unpack your appliance and make sure that all parts were delivered. Once you are satisfied that your appliance has been delivered to your expectations, verify that the location where the appliance is to be installed meets temperature and power requirements and that the server cabinet or floor-to-ceiling cabinet is securely bolted to the floor and has sufficient airflow.
Only trained and qualified personnel must install, maintain, or replace the appliance, and efforts must be taken to ensure that all cautions and warnings are followed.
This document includes the following details:
- Unpacking the appliance
- Preparing the site and rack
- Electrical safety precautions
Unpacking the appliance
The hardware accessories for your particular appliance, such as cables, adapters, and rail kit, vary depending on the hardware platform you ordered. Unpack the box that contains your new appliance on a sturdy table with plenty of space and inspect the contents.
Use the following list to verify that you received everything that must have been included in the box.
- The appliance you ordered
- One RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter
- One 6 feet RJ-45/DB-9 cable
- The following list specifies the number of power cables included for each appliance model:
- One power cable for the SDX 8015/8400/8600 appliances
- Two power cables for the SDX 11500/13500/14500/16500/18500/20500, SDX 11515/11520/11530/11540/11542, and SDX 17500/19500/21500, and SDX 17550/19550/20550/21550 appliances
- Four power cables for the SDX 22040/22060/22080/22100/22120 and SDX 24100/24150 appliances Note: Make sure that a power outlet is available for each cable. Note: For Brazilian customers, Citrix does not ship a power cable. Use a cable that conforms to the ABNT NBR 14136:2002 standard.
- One standard 4-post rail kit Note: If the kit that you received does not fit your rack, contact your Citrix sales representative to order the appropriate kit.
In addition to the items included in the box with your new appliance, you need the following items to complete the installation and initial configuration process.
- Ethernet cables for each additional Ethernet port that you connect to your network
- One available Ethernet port on your network switch or hub for each Citrix ADC Ethernet port you want to connect to your network Note: Transceiver modules are sold separately. Contact your Citrix sales representative to order transceiver modules for your appliance. Only transceivers supplied by Citrix are supported on the appliance.
- A computer to serve as a management workstation
Preparing the site and rack
There are specific site and rack requirements for the Citrix ADC appliance. Ensure that adequate environmental control and power density are available. Racks must be bolted to the ground, have sufficient airflow, and have adequate power and network connections. Preparing the site and rack are important steps in the installation process and help ensure a smooth installation.
The appliance must be installed in a server room or server cabinet with the following features:
- Environment control
An air conditioner, preferably a dedicated computer room air conditioner (CRAC), capable of maintaining the cabinet or server room at a temperature of no more than 27 degrees C/80.6 degrees F at altitudes of up to 2100 m/7000 ft, or 18 degrees C/64.4 degrees F at higher altitudes, a humidity level no greater than 45 percent, and a dust-free environment.
- Power density
Wiring capable of handling at least 4,000 watts per rack unit in addition to power needs for the CRAC.
The rack on which you install your appliance must meet the following criteria:
- Rack characteristics
Racks must be either integrated into a purpose-designed server cabinet or be the floor-to-ceiling type, bolted down at both top and bottom to ensure stability. If you have a cabinet, it must be installed perpendicular to a load-bearing wall for stability and sufficient airflow. If you have a server room, your racks must be installed in rows spaced at least 1 meter/3 feet apart for sufficient airflow. Your rack must allow your IT personnel unfettered access to the front and back of each server and to all power and network connections.
- Power connections
At minimum, two standard power outlets per unit.
- Network connections
At minimum, four Ethernet connections per rack unit.
- Space requirements
One empty rack unit for the Citrix ADC SDX 8015/8400/8600, and two consecutive empty rack units for all other appliance models.
You can order the following rail kits separately.
- Compact 4-post rail kit, which fits racks of 23–33 inches.
- 2-post rail kit, which fits 2-post racks.
Electrical safety precautions
Read the caution and danger information you need to know, before unpacking and installing the product. For more information, see Safety, cautions, warnings, and other information.