Build event notifications
Create triggers for events to be sent to the client application, such as new PTO request or notification that a record changed. Select from the template types, then customize the event in the builder. This article assumes that you have already created your microapp for this workflow. For step-by-step details, see Add a new microapp.
Follow these steps to build an event notification:
- Create the conditions to send the notification/action and the target subscribers.
- Configure the notification card for subscribers.
- Configure action items.
- Set the expiration condition and time period.
- Select the microapp that you want to add an event to. Select Add Notification at the top-right of the page.
- Give the Notification event a name.
Select your desired trigger and notification type from the following:
- New records - Sends a notification when a new record is created in the source of record (SoR).
- Changed records - Sends a notification when an existing record is changed in the SoR.
- Matching record - Sends a notification when records match a defined query at the specific time in the SoR.
- Delete records - Sends a notification when a current record is deleted in the SoR.
- Periodic notification - (user action) Sends non-data driven notifications periodically.
- Periodic report - Sends periodic notifications with summarized report data (grouping) for a specified time interval.
- Date reminder - Sends a notification at the specified time before or after the records date column value.
The following screenshot shows what the New Notification screen looks like:
The steps differ slightly depending on the specific event trigger type you select.
Confirm your Data source and select the Data table from which you want to track changes. Select Add. The new notification is added to the Notifications list and is ready to be configured.
As Citrix Workspace Microapps supports cross-integration microapps, the Select data source list shows all available integration data sources.
The Edit Notification screen opens. Follow the steps below to configure the notification. When your notification is configured correctly, scroll to the top of the page and select Save.
Notification Name lets you input the notification name and optionally select whether the notification event is run immediately after synchronization of your target application integration.
Content lets you configure the information displayed on your notification. Here you can configure the notification icon, notification title, and body content in addition to the display card image. You can optionally enter variables to incorporate elements generated from your target application integration.
Target Page lets you choose the page that is shown when the notification is selected. You can select the target microapp, target page, and optionally preview the page to see what your microapp recipients receive.
Settings lets you define the trigger conditions of your notification and the notification recipients. Select Audience to define the recipients of your notification from your integration and Edit Conditions to set what conditions trigger the notification for your users.
For Periodic report notifications, there is a grouping feature under settings. Use this feature to collect multiple events into one notification. For example:
- A user receives 10 work tickets during a given period (such as a day), but you want users to receive just one notification.
- A user clears many approvals during a work day, but you want them to receive a notification of any remaining approvals at the end of the day.
Choose a data column value for Group data by, and select a Time period. The Time period field defines the period of time from when you set the event to run in the Run frequency field above. For example, Today means the group of notifications is sent the same day the event trigger is run. If you select Custom Interval, detailed from and to fields open.
For Date reminder notifications, the Run frequency field near the top of the page defines when the synchronization is run. The Send a reminder field under Settings defines how long before or after the event the notification is sent.
Expiration lets you define any of the conditions to remove the notification. You can set to expire the notification when the record in your integration is no longer available. You can expire the notification after a defined interval. You can also configure integration trigger conditions to expire the notification when there is a change in data in your target integration.
When your notification is configured correctly, scroll to the top of the page and select Save.
Select Run Event in the top bar of the notification builder to manually trigger this event notification to run. Select Show Event Log to view a history of changes categorized by severity. You can also Run all events from the top bar of the Notifications overview screen of the microapp.
Clear all notifications
To remove all notifications from a microapp, select Clear all notifications on the individual notification’s edit menu on the Notifications overview screen of the microapp. This feature deletes your notifications when you need to reorganize or regenerate your notifications (for example, when testing) when using a newer data structure.
You can also remove all notifications in all microapps in an integration. From the Microapp integrations overview page, select the menu next to the integration for which you want to delete all notifications. Select Clear all notifications, and confirm.