Build event notifications
Create triggers for events to be sent to the client application, such as new PTO request or notification that a record changed. Select from the template types, then customize the event in the builder. This article assumes that you have already created your microapp for this workflow. For step-by-step details, see Add a new microapp.
Follow these steps to build an event notification:
- Create the conditions to send the notification/action and the target subscribers.
- Configure the notification card for subscribers.
- Configure action items.
- Set the expiration condition and time period.
When editing the settings of an existing notification, stop all synchronization for that particular integration before trying to save.
Create a notification
When setting a Periodic Notification, Periodic Report or Date Reminder the following behavior applies:
- When scheduling a time interval, the interval is set to run upon completion of the previous run. For example, a notification is set to 5 minutes, the notification runs at 10.00, completes at 10.02, and then runs again at 10.07.
- When scheduling a daily notification, the notification runs at a random time selected within the time frame. For example, a notification is set to run at 14.00, the run begins randomly between 14.00 and 14.05.
- Select the microapp that you want to add an event to. Select Add Notification at the top-right of the page.
- Enter a Notification name for the notification event.
Select your desired trigger and notification type from the following. The set-up steps differ slightly depending on the specific event trigger type you select:
- New records - Sends a notification when a new record is created in the source of record (SoR).
- Changed records - Sends a notification when an existing record is changed in the SoR.
- Matching record - Sends a notification when records match a defined query at the specific time in the SoR.
- Delete records - Sends a notification when a current record is deleted in the SoR.
- Periodic notification - (user action) Sends non-data driven notifications periodically.
- Periodic report - Sends periodic notifications with summarized report data (grouping) for a specified time interval.
- Date reminder - Sends a notification at the specified time before or after the records date column value.
Confirm your Data source and select the Data table from which you want to track changes. Select Add. The new notification is added to the Notifications list and is ready to be configured.
As Citrix Workspace Microapps supports cross-integration microapps, the Select data source list shows all available integration data sources.
The Edit Notification screen opens. Follow the steps below to configure the notification. When your notification is configured correctly, you must scroll to the top of the page and select Save.
Notification Name lets you input the notification name and optionally select whether the notification event is run immediately after synchronization of your target application integration.
Content lets you configure the information displayed on your notification. Here you can configure the notification icon, notification title, and body content in addition to the display card image. You can optionally enter variables to incorporate elements generated from your target application integration.
Target Page lets you choose the page that is shown when the notification is selected. You can select the target microapp, target page, and optionally preview the page to see what your microapp recipients receive.
Settings let you define the trigger conditions of your notification and the notification recipients. Select Audience to define the recipients of your notification from your integration and Add conditions to set what conditions trigger the notification for your users. After at least one condition is set, there is an option to Edit conditions.
Complex boolean expressions are simplified when parsed internally after definition and are stripped of redundant formatting if applicable. For example, defining 1 AND (2 AND 3) OR (4 AND 5) will result in displaying 1 AND 2 AND 3 OR 4 AND 5 as the redundant brackets are removed from the definition.
Increase notification threshold
To better sustain performance, Microapps service limits the maximum number of notification cards that are generated per user per notification job. By default, this is 50 and any notification cards generated above this amount are lost.
Using advanced settings options, you can increase this value. However, a large number of notifications can flood Workspace users’ Activity Feed. Doing this can dilute the value of generating the notification cards and increases the chance that they are not read at all. Consider your users and their Workspace experience before increasing this value. The maximum value permitted is 300.
For example, you have an integration with a synchronization time set to every 10 minutes. Each subscribed user receives as many notifications as changes that occur during this time period, up to the threshold; be it the default 50 or up to 300 if you modify this value. Any additional changes that occur over this value are not generated as notifications for users’ Activity Feed. After this period between synchronization elapses (10 minutes in our example), a new synchronization runs and captures the next 50/300 changes, according to this setting.
- Under Settings, select All subscribers from the Audience menu. Advanced settings are only visible when the audience is set to all subscribers.
- Enable the Show advanced settings toggle.
- Under Notification generation threshold for a single user, select Edit. The default value of 50 is prefilled.
- Enter a new value. Do not exceed the maximum: 300.
Select Save at the top of the page to save all changes. The field will be disabled, and you need to select Edit to enable the field again.
Grouping - Periodic report notifications
For Periodic report notifications, there is a grouping feature under settings. Use this feature to collect multiple events into one notification. For example:
- A user receives 10 work tickets during a given period (such as a day), but you want users to receive just one notification.
- A user clears many approvals during a work day, but you want them to receive a notification of any remaining approvals at the end of the day.
Choose a data column value for Group data by, and select a Time period. The Time period field defines the period of time from when you set the event to run in the Run frequency field above. For example, Today means the group of notifications is sent the same day the event trigger is run. If you select Custom Interval, detailed from and to fields open.
Send a reminder - Date reminder notifications
For Date reminder notifications, the Run frequency field near the top of the page defines when the synchronization is run. The Send a reminder field under Settings defines how long before or after the event the notification is sent.
Expiration lets you define any of the conditions to remove the notification. You can set to expire the notification when the record in your integration is no longer available. You can expire the notification after a defined interval. You can also configure integration trigger conditions to expire the notification when there is a change in data in your target integration.
When your notification is configured correctly, scroll to the top of the page and select Save.
Select Run Event in the top bar of the notification builder to manually trigger this event notification to run. Select Show Event Log to view a history of changes categorized by severity. You can also Run all events from the top bar of the Notifications overview screen of the microapp.
Clear all notifications
To remove all notifications from a microapp, select Clear all notifications on the individual notification’s edit menu on the Notifications overview screen of the microapp. This feature deletes your notifications when you need to reorganize or regenerate your notifications (for example, when testing) when using a newer data structure.
You can also remove all notifications in all microapps in an integration. From the Microapp integrations overview page, select the menu next to the integration for which you want to delete all notifications. Select Clear all notifications, and confirm.