Keyboard layout and language bar
You can hide all or part of the Advanced Preferences sheet available from the Citrix Workspace app icon in the notification area. For more information, see Hiding the Advanced Preferences sheet.
Keyboard layout synchronization enables users to switch among preferred keyboard layouts on the client device. This feature is disabled by default.
To enable keyboard layout synchronization:
From the Citrix Workspace app icon in the notification area icon, select Advanced Preferences > Keyboard and Language bar.
The Keyboard and Language bar dialog appears.
Select from one of the following options:
- Yes - Indicatrs that the local keyboard layout is used in a session.
- No, use the server keyboard - Indicates that the keyboard layout used on the VDA is applied in a session.This option sets the local keyboard layout feature to disabled.
You can also enable and disable keyboard layout synchronization using the command line by running
wfica32:exe /localime:on or
wfica32:exe /localime:off from the Citrix Workspace app for Windows installation folder
C:\Program files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client.
Using the local keyboard layout option activates the Client IME (Input Method Editor). If users working in Japanese, Chinese or Korean prefer to use the Server IME, they must disable the local keyboard layout option by selecting No, or running
wfica32:exe /localime:off. The session reverts to the keyboard layout provided by the remote server when they connect to the next session.
Sometimes, switching the client keyboard layout does not take effect in an active session. To resolve this issue, log off from Citrix Workspace app and login again.
Hiding the keyboard layout switch notification dialog
The keyboard layout change notification dialog lets you know that the VDA session is switching the keyboard layout. The keyboard layout switch needs approximately two seconds to switch. When you hide the notification dialog, wait for some time before you start typing to avoid incorrect character input.
Editing the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems that might require you to reinstall your operating system. Citrix cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Be sure to back up the registry before you edit it.
To hide the keyboard layout switch notification dialog using the Registry editor:
- Launch the Registry editor and navigate to
- Create a new String Value key by name HideNotificationWindow.
- Set the DWORD value to 1.
- Click OK.
- Restart the session for the changes to take effect.
- Remote applications which run with elevated privilege (for example, right click an application icon > Run as administrator) cannot be synchronized with the client keyboard layout. As a workaround, manually change the keyboard layout on the server side (VDA) or disable UAC.
- If the user changes the keyboard layout on the client to a layout which is not supported on the server, the keyboard layout synchronization feature is disabled for security reasons - an unrecognized keyboard layout is treated as a potential security threat. To restore the keyboard layout synchronization feature, log off and relog in to the session.
- In an RDP session, you cannot change the keyboard layout using Alt + Shift shortcuts. As a workaround, use the language bar in the RDP session to switch the keyboard layout.
- This feature is disabled in Windows Server 2016 due to a third-party issue which might introduce performance risk. The feature can be enabled with a registry setting on the VDA: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Citrix\ICA\IcaIme, add a new key called DisableKeyboardSync and set the value to 0.
The language bar displays the preferred input language in a session. In earlier releases, you could change this setting using only the registry keys on the VDA. Starting with Citrix Receiver for Windows Version 4.11, you can change the settings using the Advanced Preferences dialog. The language bar appears in a session by default.
This feature is available in sessions running on VDA 7.17 and later.
Configure showing or hiding the remote language bar
- Right-click the Citrix Workspace app icon from the notification area and select Advanced Preferences.
- Select Keyboard and Language bar.
- Select the Language bar tab.
- Select from one of the following options:
- Yes - Indicates that the language bar is displayed in a session.
- No, hide the language bar - Indicates that the language bar is hidden in a session.
The setting changes take effect immediately.
- You can change the settings in an active session.
- The remote language bar does not appear in a session if there is only one input language.
Hiding the language bar tab from the Advanced Preferences sheet
You can hide the language bar tab from the Advanced Preferences sheet by using the registry.
- Launch the registry editor.
- Navigate to
- Create a new DWORD value key, ToggleOffLanguageBarFeature, and set it to 1 to hide the Language bar option from the Advanced Preferences sheet.