Prepare for a XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x upgrade
Aug 14, 2017
When planning how to deliver desktops and applications after an upgrade to XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x, use the XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x Upgrade solution to get the information you need. The solution provides information such as:
The delivery method available for your applications, either server hosted or desktop hosted.
Server hosted refers to applications and desktops that reside on a Server OS machine, either physical or virtual. These deployments provide users access to applications from StoreFront, their Start menu, or a URL you provide to them. Applications are delivered virtually and display seamlessly in high definition on user devices.
Desktop hosted refers to applications and desktops that reside on a virtual Desktop OS machine. These deployments support applications that run on older operating systems and architectures, while providing users with applications that display seamlessly in high-definition.
The applications that require remediation to work with XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x in your target deployment.
The applications that will not work with XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x in your target deployment.
Note: For information about upgrading to XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x, refer to the Upgrade topics in the XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x documentation in eDocs.
To configure a XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x Upgrade solution
Before you start, gather the following information.
- For your current XenApp or XenDesktop deployment:
- The version of XenApp or XenDesktop that you are upgrading
- The operating system family on which it is installed
- Whether App-V is used
- The applications you want to deliver
- For your target XenApp or XenDesktop deployment:
Whether it will use App-V
XenDesktop 7.x supports App-V as the preferred technology to stream applications to user devices. It does not support XenApp application streaming.
The desktop operating systems to use (if delivering virtual desktops)
AppDNA provides a default image for the Windows desktop operating systems. You can import custom images, as described in Operating system images.
In the AppDNA side bar, click Solutions and then click Add solution.
In the Solutions Templates page, select XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x Upgrade and then click Next.
The solution wizard opens.
Identify the solution: In the Solution name page, type a Solution name and Description, to be used in the solution report.
Specify your current environment:
In the Platform name page, type a Platform name to identify the platform of your current XenDesktop deployment.
Including the main characteristics of your platform in the name, such as “Windows 2008 64-bit”, will help you distinguish this platform later in the list of available platforms.
Provide an optional Description of the platform.
Choose your platform parameters.
Choose applications: In the Applications page, select the applications you want to include in the upgrade.
To review or edit the target platform, click XenDesktop 7.x Upgrade target and then click Edit.
Important: The default target, Windows Server 2012, 64-bit, is the recommended best practice. Other than changing the App-V selection, we recommend that you not change the other target settings unless necessary.
On the Desktop deployment page, change the settings as needed:
By default, if AppDNA detects major issues with server OS hosting, it uses desktop OS hosting for the operating systems that are selected. To prevent any desktop hosting, clear the Host applications on desktop check box.
To remove a particular desktop operating system from the analysis, clear the check box for it.
To choose a different image for a desktop operating system, choose it from the menu.
The menu lists the default image provided with AppDNA and any custom operating system images that you import, as described in Operating system images.
To complete the solution:
- After you finish defining the current and target platforms, click Build.
- On the Progress page, click Analyze. When the analysis completes, choose report to view and then click Finish.
To view the reports at any time: In the AppDNA side bar, click Solutions and then click the name of the solution.
To interpret a XenDesktop Upgrade Report
A XenDesktop Upgrade Report lists the applications you selected, sorted under the following categories:
- Applications that can run. No action is required for these applications to run in a XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x environment on the target platform. The deployment method for these applications is server hosted.
- Applications that require remediation to run. These applications can run in a XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x environment on your chosen target platform if you perform remediation. Click the Remediation link in the report for details.
- Applications that must be deployed using desktop hosting (pooled or dedicated). These applications can run in a XenApp or XenDesktop 7.x environment on your chosen target platform if you deploy them using pooled or dedicated desktops.
- Applications that cannot be deployed with XenDesktop 7.x. These applications cannot be deployed using Server OS or Desktop OS machines without redevelopment. Click the Reason link for details.
For more information about Server OS and Desktop OS machines, refer to Plan for hosting desktops and applications in the XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x documentation in eDocs.
To add an existing platform to a solution
In the AppDNA side bar, click Solutions.
In the Solutions pane, click the solution category and then click Edit across from the solution name.
Click the icon above Existing platforms and then complete the wizard.
The report reflects the platform you just added.
To build a report for a different platform
- In the AppDNA side bar, click Solutions.
- In the Solutions pane, click the solution category and then click Edit across from the solution name.
- Click Next, click a platform, and then click Build.