Aug 14, 2017
AppDNA integrates with the Citrix licensing system. All new AppDNA licenses are issued through www.citrix.com. However, if you are familiar with the Citrix licensing system, you will notice that there are some important differences between how you work with AppDNA licenses compared to how you work with the licenses for other Citrix products.
This topic provides an overview of the key features of AppDNA licensing, how it differs from the licensing of other Citrix products, and compatibility with earlier versions of AppDNA. This is followed by links to topics that provide more detailed information.
Key features of AppDNA licensing
Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp Platinum retail licenses provide access to all AppDNA features. Platinum evaluation, demo, and not for resale licenses are not supported for activation. Alternatively, you can license AppDNA separately, as the AppDNA Standard or AppDNA Enterprise editions. AppDNA licensing has the following features.
- For all editions:
- AppDNA licenses are applied to the AppDNA database. This means that if you have multiple AppDNA databases, each one is licensed separately.
- For purchased licenses, AppDNA automatically unlocks applications during analysis, up to your purchased limit. When AppDNA does this, it unlocks the applications for the licensed features. For example, suppose you purchased the AppDNA Standard edition. When AppDNA unlocks a desktop application, it automatically unlocks the application for all of the reports that come with the Standard edition apart from the WebApp Compatibility feature, which does not apply to a desktop application.
- After the limit has been reached, you can manually unlock a few additional applications (up to 10% of the licensed limit). This additional allowance is called the license reserve.
- AppDNA licenses are tied to the machine on which the AppDNA license server is installed. (This is normally the machine on which the AppDNA server is installed.) If you move the AppDNA license server from one machine to another, you need to transfer the licenses for your AppDNA database.
- For XenDesktop or XenApp Platinum editions:
- If you have already purchased AppDNA, you can activate the XenDesktop or XenApp Platinum license on top of your existing licenses on any (or all) of your databases.
- AppDNA checks for a valid Subscription Advantage account during the initial Platinum activation and during any upgrade of AppDNA.
- For AppDNA Standard and Enterprise editions:
- The AppDNA Standard and Enterprise editions provide licenses for reports for various target technologies, such as Windows client or server. The Enterprise edition includes all the functionality of the Standard edition, plus the Server-based Computing feature (for XA hosted analysis) and the Virtualization feature (for App-V compatibility analysis). Licenses control the number of applications for which you can view the application and remediation reports.
- These editions have a Trial license built in and can be used with an Evaluation or Retail license.
- After installing and using AppDNA, you can upgrade your entitlements (for example, to upgrade from Standard to Enterprise or purchase additional licenses to increase the number of applications). After downloading additional licenses from www.citrix.com, you activate them in the Configure AppDNA Environment wizard.
- If you have an evaluation license, you can choose which applications you want to view reports for in the Apply Licenses screen in AppDNA. This process is called unlocking applications. Alternatively, you can choose to unlock the applications automatically during analysis.
Key differences with the licensing of other Citrix products
- You administer AppDNA licenses through www.citrix.com and the Configure AppDNA Environment wizard.
- The number of AppDNA licenses that are available and purchased relate to the number of applications and not the number of users. AppDNA licensing does not restrict the number of users that can use AppDNA. A Platinum XenApp and XenDesktop license makes AppDNA available for import, analysis and reporting of an unlimited number of applications.
- Internally AppDNA licensing is handled by the AppDNA license server rather than the Citrix license server. This means that you do not need to separately install the Citrix licensing components.
- Although it is possible to import AppDNA license files to the Citrix License Administration Console, this does not affect the licensing of AppDNA. Similarly, you do not administer AppDNA license files through the Citrix License Administration Console.
- For AppDNA Standard and Enterprise editions: Always download your AppDNA licenses separately from the licenses for other Citrix products.
Compatibility with earlier versions of AppDNA
- When you upgrade to the latest AppDNA release from AppDNA 6.0 or earlier, your old licenses are automatically upgraded to work with the Citrix licensing scheme when you upgrade your database.
- License files issued for AppDNA 6.0 and earlier (these have a .clf filename extension) cannot be used to directly activate AppDNA. When necessary, customers who have valid .clf license files can log on to www.citrix.com and download new Citrix licenses that match their existing entitlements.
- AppDNA licenses issued through www.citrix.com do not restrict the ability to install the AppDNA license server on a virtual machine. However, evaluation versions of AppDNA downloaded from www.citrix.com/tryit cannot be installed on a virtual machine.
- In all new installations, the AppDNA license server is installed on the same machine as the AppDNA server. However, AppDNA supports existing installations where the AppDNA license server is installed on a separate machine from the AppDNA server.
- Licenses issued through www.citrix.com are not compatible with AppDNA 6.0 and earlier.