Execution profiles define the tasks and resources that run on the capture machine during an Install Capture or Self-Provisioning application capture.
Some execution profiles perform more advanced tasks, such as packaging. You can also use execution profiles in Forward Path task scripts to perform actions (such as sequencing or running testing regimes) on applications based on the analysis results.
This topic provides a list of the execution profiles that are installed with AppDNA and explains how to activate them, and how to change the default. This is followed by instructions for running execution profiles, and information about the advanced execution profiles and the Edit Execution Profile dialog box.
Note: Install Capture is always performed on a virtual machine, but a Self-Provisioning capture can be performed on any type of machine (physical or virtual). For convenience, the term capture machine is used in this section to represent both the Install Capture virtual machine and the Self-Provisioning client machine.
Standard execution profiles
The execution profiles that come with AppDNA as standard are as follows:
- Snapshot - Creates an MSI for importing the application’s DNA into the AppDNA database. This profile captures all the installation and configuration screens to form the installation instructions.
- App-V 5.1 Sequencer – Creates App-V 5.1 sequences as well as an MSI for importing the application’s DNA into the AppDNA database – the MSI is not usable as an installer. This execution profile requires the App-V Sequencer 5.1 to be installed on the virtual machine. See App-V 5.1 Sequencer execution profile for more information.
- App-V 5.0 Sequencer – Creates App-V 5.0 sequences as well as an MSI for importing the application’s DNA into the AppDNA database – the MSI is not usable as an installer. This execution profile requires the App-V Sequencer 5.0 to be installed on the virtual machine.
Note: Both 5.1 and 5.0 execution profiles support 5.0 and 5.1 Sequencer, however the 5.1 Execution profile is recommended because it gives access to all the App-V sequencing features.
To change the default execution profile
- From the AppDNA menus, choose Edit > Settings.
- In the side bar in the Settings dialog box, click Install Capture or Self Provisioning, depending on where you want to use the execution profile.
- Click the Execution Profile tab.
- Click the execution profile that you want to set as the default, and then click Set as default.
- Click Save to preserve your changes and close the Settings dialog box.