VM Configuration Wizard
You use the Virtual Machine Configuration wizard to create virtual machine configurations for use with:
- Install Capture – You use Install Capture to import desktop applications for which an .msi, .sft, or .appv file is not available. Install Capture installs the application within a virtual machine and creates an .msi file which is then imported into AppDNA. Generally the .msi file that is created simply captures the application’s DNA for import into AppDNA and is not suitable for actually installing the application. The capture process can create usable MSIs or App-V sequences. This requires the App-V sequencer, which is not provided with AppDNA, to be installed in the virtual machine.
- Forward Path tasks – You can use Forward Path tasks to automate the use of Install Capture, typically to sequence or package applications.
Note: For simplicity, this documentation refers only to Install Capture. However, it applies equally to Forward Path tasks that automate the use of Install Capture.
The wizard connects to the underlying virtualization technology and, for example, retrieves a list of the virtual machines that are available. It also attempts to start the virtual machine and optionally open it in the console. This means that you can control the virtual machine and do any necessary setup on it whilst the wizard is open, if necessary. If you complete the wizard steps successfully, the virtual machine configuration should be fully functional.
Before you can use this wizard to add a new virtual machine configuration, you need to install a suitable virtualization technology and set up and configure a virtual machine and the AppDNA machine as described in Install Capture.
Open the wizard
- From the AppDNA menus, choose Edit > Settings.
- On the left side of the Settings dialog box, click Install Capture.
- Click the Virtual Machines tab.
- If you want to create a new virtual machine configuration, click New.
- If you want to view or edit an existing virtual machine configuration, select it in the list and then click Edit.