Configuring Session Policies
A session policy is a collection of expressions and settings that are applied to users, groups, virtual servers, and globally.
You use a session policy to configure the settings for user connections. You can define settings to configure the software users log on with, such as the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in for Windows or the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in for Mac. You can also configure settings to require users to log on with Citrix Receiver or Worx Home. Session policies are evaluated and applied after the user is authenticated.
Session policies are applied according to the following rules:
- Session polices always override global settings in the configuration.
- Any attributes or parameters that are not set using a session policy are set on policies established for the virtual server.
- Any other attributes that are not set by a session policy or by the virtual server are set by the global configuration.
Important: The following instructions are general guidelines for creating session policies. There are specific instructions for configuring session policies for different configurations, such as clientless access or for access to published applications. The instructions might contain directions for configuring a specific setting; however, that setting can be one of many settings that are contained within a session profile and policy. The instructions direct you to create a setting within a session profile and then apply the profile to a session policy. You can change settings within a profile and policy without creating a new session policy. In addition, you can create all of your settings on a global level and then create a session policy to override global settings.
If you deploy App Controller or StoreFront in your network, Citrix recommends using the Quick Configuration wizard to configure session policies and profiles. When you run the wizard, you define the settings for your deployment. NetScaler Gateway then creates the required authentication, session and clientless access policies.
To create a session policy
- In the configuration utility, on the Configuration tab, in the navigation pane, expand NetScaler Gateway > Policies and then click Session.
- In the details pane, on the Policies tab, click Add.
- In Name, type a name for the policy.
- Next to Request Profile, click New.
- In Name, type a name for the profile.
- Complete the settings for the session profile and then click Create.
- In the Create Session Profile dialog box, add an expression for the policy, click Create and then click Close. Note: In the expression, select True value so the policy is always applied to the level to which it is bound.