Configuring Client Certificate Authentication
Users logging on to a Citrix Gateway virtual server can also be authenticated based on the attributes of the client certificate that is presented to the virtual server. Client certificate authentication can also be used with another authentication type, such as LDAP or RADIUS, to provide two-factor authentication.
To authenticate users based on the client-side certificate attributes, client authentication should be enabled on the virtual server and the client certificate should be requested. You must bind a root certificate to the virtual server on Citrix Gateway.
When users log on to the Citrix Gateway virtual server, after authentication, the user name information is extracted from the specified field of the certificate. Typically, this field is Subject:CN. If the user name is extracted successfully, the user is then authenticated. If the user does not provide a valid certificate during the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) handshake or if the user name extraction fails, authentication fails.
You can authenticate users based on the client certificate by setting the default authentication type to use the client certificate. You can also create a certificate action that defines what is to be done during the authentication based on a client SSL certificate.
To configure the client certificate as the default authentication type
- In the configuration utility, on the Configuration tab, in the navigation pane, expand NetScaler Gateway and then click Global Settings.
- In the details pane, under Settings, click Change authentication settings.
- In Maximum Number of Users, type the number of users who can be authenticated using the client certificate.
- In Default Authentication Type, select Cert.
- In User Name Field, select the type of certificate field that holds the user names.
- In Group Name Field, select the type of the certificate field that holds the group name.
- In Default Authorization Group, type the name of the default group and then click OK.
Extracting the User Name from the Client Certificate
If client certificate authentication is enabled on Citrix Gateway, users are authenticated based on certain attributes of the client certificate. After authentication is completed successfully, the user name or the user and group name of the user are extracted from the certificate and any policies specified for that user are applied.