Deploying the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in from Active Directory
If users do not have administrative privileges to install the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in on the user device, you can deploy the plug-in for users from Active Directory.
When you use this method to deploy the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in, you can extract the installation program and then use a group policy to deploy the program. The general steps for this type of deployment are:
- Extracting the MSI package.
- Distributing the plug-in by using a group policy.
- Creating a distribution point.
- Assigning the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in package by using a Group Policy Object. Note: Distribution of the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in from Active Directory is only supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
You can download the MSI package from the configuration utility or from the Citrix web site.
To download the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in MSI package from the configuration utility
In the configuration utility, click Downloads.
Under NetScaler Gateway Plugin, click Download NetScaler Gateway Plugin for Windows and then save the file nsvpnc_setup.exe to your Windows server.
Note: If the File Download dialog box does not appear, press the CTRL key when you click the link Download NetScaler Gateway Plugin for Windows.
At a command prompt, navigate to the folder where you saved nsvpnc_setup.exe to and then type:
This extracts the file agee.msi.
Save the extracted file to a folder on the Windows server.
After you extract the file, you use a group policy on Windows Server to distribute the file.
Before starting the distribution, install the Group Policy Management Console on Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012. For more information, see the Windows online help.
Note: When you use a group policy to publish the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in, Citrix recommends assigning the package to the user device. The MSI package is designed to be installed on a per-device basis.
Before you can distribute the software, create a distribution point on a network share on a publishing server, such as Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server.
To create a distribution point
- Log on to the publishing server as an administrator.
- Create a folder and share it on the network with read permission for all accounts that need access to the distribution package.
- At a command prompt, navigate to the folder where you save the extracted file and then type: msiexec -a agee.msi
- On the Network Location screen, click Change and then navigate to the shared folder where you want to create the administrative installation of the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in.
- Click OK and then click Install.
After you have put the extracted package on the network share, assign the package to a Group Policy Object in Windows.
After you configure the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in successfully as a managed software package, the plug-in is installed automatically the next time the user device starts.
Note: When the installation package is assigned to a computer, the user must restart the computer.
When the installation starts, users receive a message that the NetScaler Gateway Plug-in is installing.