- Application performance analytics
- Application security analytics
- Create an application definition
- Create a threshold and alert for application analytics
You can define a custom application based on a collection of discovered applications in NetScaler MAS.
In NetScaler MAS, when you navigate to Application Dashboard, the Application Overview page displays default applications. These default applications or "discrete applications" are the 30 applications for which you have the default licenses. You discover these applications when you install NetScaler MAS in your business environment.
As you create "custom applications," the custom applications replace the discrete applications. The custom applications are arranged on the dashboard according to the category you have chosen while creating them.
You can view these applications, both discovered and custom, in two ways - treemap and tiles.
You can create a custom application through either a static or dynamic configuration.
You can enter one IP address or a range of IP addresses or a combination of both separated by commas. For example, you can enter 10.102.29.20, 10.102.43.10-60, 10.216.43.45.
3. StyleBooks. You can create custom applications by using either a default or custom StyleBook that is already present in the NetScaler MAS. StyleBooks simplify the task of managing complex NetScaler configurations for your applications. Select a StyleBook that is present in NetScaler MAS and type in the StyleBook parameter values NetScaler MAS creates the configuration (configpack) on the target NetScaler Instances based on the selected StyleBook. NetScaler MAS also creates a custom application that includes all the virtual servers defined in the configpack.
Note: A custom application and config pack are created if sufficient NetScaler licenses are available.
When you create an application that meets these conditions defined above in one of the three criteria, the application gets updated in the Application Dashboard automatically when NetScaler MAS polls the entities. To initiate a poll manually, click Poll Now located in the Applications tab.
a. Select Existing Applications. To select existing applications, make sure that the Select Existing Applications is enabled. Choose the application from the list in the Applications section. Click Add Applications to add new applications to the list.
b. Define Selection Criteria. You can also define a selection criterion to add applications in NetScaler MAS. You can add apps in one of the following three methods:
i. Specifying the IP address of the virtual server. You can enter one IP address or a range of IP addresses or a combination of both separated by commas.
ii. Specifying the name of the server on which the applications or services are running.
Note: You can also search for server names by using wildcard extensions. For example, ssl* will add all ssl virtual servers to the application.
iii. Specifying the port number at which the application is listening to on the selected server.
c. Create a new application from StyleBook. Select the required StyleBook in NetScaler MAS to create config packs on the NetScaler instances and associate the virtual servers with a custom application.
5. Click OK. If you have opted to create applications from StyleBooks, the Choose StyleBook page opens. This page contains a list of all StyleBooks present in NetScaler MAS.
6. Select the StyleBook. The StyleBook opens as a user interface form. Type the values for all parameters in the StyleBook. You can also click View Definition to view the construct of the StyleBook before using it.
For more information on how to use custom or default StyleBooks, see Use default StyleBooks.
7. A custom application and the config pack are now created on the NetScaler instances that you have selected in the target section in the StyleBook
Note: A custom application and config pack are created if sufficient NetScaler MAS licenses are available.
You must allow NetScaler MAS to auto select the virtual servers for licensing when you use the StyleBook option to create configurations. If you have not enabled auto-select, you might get an error message as shown in the image below:
To enable auto-selection of virtual servers
1. In NetScaler MAS, navigate to Networks > Licenses > System Licenses.
2. Click Auto-select Virtual Servers to enable the option in Licensed Virtual Servers section.
When enabled, NetScaler MAS automatically selects the virtual servers to license. And when it is not enabled, you must explicitly select the virtual servers.
NetScaler MAS displays all details of an application in a separate pane at the rightmost side known as App Info Panel.
The entities that are bound to the application that you have selected are arranged vertically in the App Info Panel pane. Vertically arranged boxes in the pane display the following:
The entities that are displayed here are the virtual servers, services, service groups, and the application servers. The pane also displays other data like App Score, data volume, throughput, both server and client connections, and the transactions that happen in each application.
You can view the count of virtual servers, services, service groups that are in different states for each application. You can click the name of the entity or the displayed count to directly enable or disable the entities. You can also enable or disable other bound entities such as virtual servers, services, and service groups.
For more information on how to configure load balancing servers, see Create Load Balancing Support through Application Dashboard.