Enabling Optimization and Configuring the Default Feature Settings
Enabling WAN Optimization in your Virtual WAN entails the following procedures:
1. Enable WAN Optimization in the **Features** settings of the **Optimization section.** Instructions for this part of the process are provided in this section. 2. Configure the **Acceleration** policy setting for each applicable Service Class in the **Service Classes** table. This procedure occurs further on, after you have completed the rest of the **Optimization** configuration. Instructions are provided in the section, [Configuring Optimization Default Service Classes](/en-us/netscaler-sd-wan/9-3/configuration-topics/enabling-configuring-wan-optimization/configuring-optimization-branch-site.html#par_richtext_7ec5). At this point, WAN Optimization has been enabled in your configuration, but not yet enabled and activated in your Virtual WAN. To enable and activate WAN Optimization in your Virtual WAN, you must complete the Virtual WAN configuration, and then generate, stage, and activate the Virtual WAN Appliance Packages on the eligible sites in your deployment, as outlined in the subsequent chapters of this guide.
To enable WAN Optimization and configure the Defaults section Features settings, do the following:
1. If necessary, log back into the Management Web Interface, and open the **Configuration Editor.** To open the **Configuration Editor**, do the following: a. Select the **Configuration** tab at the top of the page to open the **Configuration** navigation tree (left pane). b. In the navigation tree, click **+** to the left of the **Virtual WAN** branch to open that branch. C. In the **Virtual WAN** branch, select **Configuration Editor.** 2. Open the configuration package you want to modify. Click **Open** to display the **Open Configuration Package** dialog box, and select the package from the **Saved Packages** drop-down menu. This loads the selected package into the **Configuration Editor** and opens it for editing. If you have a valid and current license that includes WAN Optimization features, the **Optimization** section will be available in the **Configuration Editor**.
If the Optimization section is not available, please check that you have installed a CloudBridge Enterprise Edition license in your Virtual WAN. CloudBridge Virtual WAN Edition does not support WAN Optimization features.
For details and instructions, see the following sections:
Click the Optimization section heading.
This opens the Configuration Editor Optimization section tree.
The **Optimization** section tree contains a branch for the **Defaults** settings, and a branch for each eligible client node (branch site) in the current configuration. Optimization is supported for 1000-EE and 2000-EE clients, only. Consequently, the client node must be a 1000-EE or 2000-EE hardware Virtual WAN Appliance for that site to be included in the tree. 4. Click **+** to the left of the **Defaults** branch label.
** ** This opens the Defaults settings tree.
5. Click **+** to the left of the **Features** branch label. This opens the default **Features** configuration form.
6. Click Edit (pencil icon) to the right of the **Features** branch label to enable editing of the form. 7. Select the **WAN Optimization** checkbox. The **WAN Optimization** checkbox is in the upper left corner of the **WAN Optimization** Features section at the top of the form. Select the checkbox to select **WAN Optimization** for enabling. This also opens the other options in the form for editing, and reveals the **Apply** and **Revert** buttons.
This selects this feature for enabling, only. WAN Optimization will not be enabled in the Optimization section or the configuration package until you click Apply, after completing the Features configuration. In addition, you must also configure the Acceleration setting for each applicable Service Class in the Service Classes table, as instructed further on in the Optimization configuration process. (Instructions are provided in the section Configuring Optimization Default Service Classes) Finally, WAN Optimization will not be enabled and activated in your Virtual WAN until you have completed the entire Virtual WAN configuration, and then generated, staged, distributed, and activated the Virtual WAN Appliance Packages on the eligible sites in your Virtual WAN.
The below figure shows the Defaults section Features configuration form, with WAN Optimization enabled, and the Apply and Revert buttons revealed.
8. Configure the **Features** settings. Click a checkbox to select or deselect an option. You can accept the default settings pre-selected in the form, or customize the settings.
By default, the settings you configure in the Defaults section forms are automatically applied to each branch site included in the tree. However, you can customize the Optimization configuration for a specific branch, as outlined in the section, Configuring Optimization for a Branch Site.
The **Features** configuration form contains two sections: - **WAN Optimization Features** - **CIFS Optimization Protocols** The **WAN Optimization Features** settings are as follows: - **WAN Optimization** – Select this to enable WAN Optimization for this configuration. This also enables compression, deduplication, and TCP Protocol Optimization.
The WAN Optimization option must be selected for the other Optimization section options to be available.
- **ICA Multi Stream** – Select this to enable CloudBridge to negotiate the use of multi-stream for ICA traffic for improved Quality of Service. - **SCPS** – Select this to enable TCP Protocol optimization for Satellite Links. - **HDX QoS Priorities** – Select this to enable optimization of ICA traffic based on prioritization of HDX sub-channels. - **MAPI Cross Protocol O**ptimization – Select this to enable cross-protocol optimization of Microsoft Outlook (MAPI) traffic. - **SSL Optimization** – Select this to enable optimization for traffic streams with SSL encryption. - **RPC Over HTTP –** Select this to enable optimization of Microsoft Exchange traffic that uses RPC over HTTP. - **User Data Store Encryption –** Select this to enable enhanced security of data through the encryption of WAN Optimization compression history. **- Native MAPI** – Select this to enable optimization of Microsoft Exchange traffic. The **CIFS Optimization Protocols** options are as follows: - **SMB1** – Select this to enable Optimization of Windows File Sharing (SMB1) - **SMB2** – Select this to enable Optimization of Windows File Sharing (SMB2) - **SMB3** – Select this to enable Optimization of Windows File Sharing (SMB3). You must first select the **SMB2** option before you can select **SMB3**.
This enables and adds the selected Default Features to the configuration package.
The next step is to configure the Optimization default Tuning Settings.