- Manually Configuring a Static Management IP Address for the VPX
- Displaying the DHCP-assigned Management IP Address for the VPX
If you are not using DHCP, or want to set a static Management IP Address for the SD-WAN VPX Virtual Appliance VM, you must do this manually. To do so, you will use the console for the Virtual Machine you just created, in the vSphere Client.
Also see, Setting up the SD-WAN Appliances.
To set the Management IP Address manually, do the following:
DHCP is enabled by default for the SD-WAN VPX Management IP Address.
1. Continuing in the vSphere client Inventory page, select the new SD-WAN VPX VM in the Inventory tree (left pane).
This displays the Inventory page for the new VM, with the Getting Started tab preselected.
2. Power on the new Virtual Machine.
In the Basic Tasks section of the Getting Started tab page, click Power on the virtual machine (green play button) to power on the new SD-WAN VPX-SE VM.
3. Select the Console tab in the Inventory page tab bar.
The Console tab is located in Inventory page tab bar at the top of the main page area. Selecting this tab displays and enables access to the CLI console for the VM.
As the new VM starts up, a series of status messages display in the console.
When the startup process completes, the console login prompt displays.
4. Click anywhere inside the console area to enter console mode.
This turns control of your mouse cursor over to the VM console, and enables console mode.
To release console control of your cursor, press the Ctrl and Alt keys simultaneously.
5. Log into the VM console.
The default login credentials for the new SD-WAN VPX-SE VM are as follows:
This displays the console Welcome screen.
6. Enter the following command line at the console prompt:
This switches to the management_ip CLI in the console, and displays the set_management_ip prompt.
7. Configure the interface settings for the VM.
Enter the following command line at the set_management_ip prompt:
set interface <ipaddress> <subnetmask> <gateway>
- <ip> is the Management IP Address for the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance.
- <subnetmask> is the subnet mask used to define the network in which the
CB VPX-VW Virtual Appliance resides.
- <gateway> is the Gateway IP Address the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance will use to communicate with external networks.
This stages but does not apply the interface settings.
8. Apply the staged settings for the VM interface.
Do the following:
a. Enter the following command at the set_management_ip prompt:
b. When prompted to confirm the apply operation, enter Y.
This applies the staged interface settings for the VM, and displays the results.
9. Enter exit and press Return at the prompt to exit the management_ip CLI.
10. Exit the console.
Enter exit and press Return at the console prompt, and then press Ctrl+Alt to regain control of the cursor.
11. Shut down and restart the VM.
Do the following:
a. Select the Getting Started tab to display the Basic Tasks options.
b. In the Basic Tasks section, click Shut down the virtual machine (red box icon).
You are prompted to confirm that you want to shut down the guest operating system for the VM.
c. Click Yes to confirm.
This shuts down the guest operating system and powers off the VM. When the shutdown completes, the Power on the virtual machine option (green play button) becomes available.
12. Restart the Virtual Machine.
Click Power on the virtual machine (green right-arrow) to restart the VM. You can view the progress of the start up process in the Console tab page for the VM.
When the startup process completes, the login prompt displays.
You can now proceed to the final step, Connecting to the SD-WAN VPX-SE and Testing the Deployment.