NetScaler appliances that are to be added to a cluster must satisfy the following criteria:
- All appliances must have the same software version and build except during a cluster node upgrade.
All appliances must be of the same platform type. This means that a cluster must have either all hardware appliances (MPX) or virtual appliances (VPX) or SDX NetScaler instances.
[For releases prior to NetScaler 11.0] All appliances must be on the same network. In NetScaler 11.0 and later releases, appliances can belong to different networks.
All appliances must have the same licenses. Also, depending on the NetScaler version, there are some additional aspects to address:
- For releases prior to NetScaler 10.5 Build 52.x:
- A separate cluster license file is required. This file must be copied to the /nsconfig/license/ directory of the configuration coordinator.
- Because of the separate cluster license file, the cluster feature is available irrespective of the NetScaler license.
- For releases after NetScaler 10.5 Build 52.x:
- No separate cluster license is required.
- Cluster is licensed with the Enterprise and Platinum licenses. Cluster is not available for Standard license.
- Be initially configured and connected to a common client-side and server-side network.
Note: For a cluster of virtual appliances, that has large configurations, it is recommended to use 6 GB RAM for each node of the cluster.