Following are some of the functionality and high CPU related debugging issues encoutered and the best practices to follow when working with App Firewall:
• Check Policy hits, Bindings, Network configuration, App Firewall configuration
Identify vserver that is serving the affected traffic
• Inspect logs for security violations and recent configuration changes
tail -f /var/log/ns.log grep APPFW_SIGNATURE_MATCH
Jun 13 01:11:09 <local0.info> 10.217.31.98 CEF:0|Citrix|NetScaler|NS11.0|APPFW| APPFW_SIGNATURE_MATCH|6|src=10.217.253.62 spt=61141 method=GET request= http://aaron.stratum8.net/FFC/wwwboard/passwd.txt msg=Signature violation rule ID 807: web-cgi /wwwboard/passwd.txt access cn1=140 cn2=841 cs1=pr_ffc cs2=PPE0 cs3=OyTgjbXBqcpBFeENKDlde3OkMQ00001 cs4=ALERT cs5=2015 cs6=web-cgi act=not blocked
• Isolate the traffic that is effected
Isolate the profile
Isolate the security check
Isolate the URL, vserver and traffic parameters
• Conditional profile level trace helps identify the traffic and violation records
set appfw profile <profile> -trace ON
start nstrace -mode APPFW -size 0
Note: Ensure that the trace is collected with -size 0 option.
• Check appfw, dht, IP reputation activity counters
nsconmsg -g as_ -g appfwreq_ -g iprep -d current
• Monitor window size for resets in connection
- Appfw sets the window size to 9845 when NetScaler resets the connection due to an invalid http message.
- Malformed request received - connection reset
- High CPU related issues
- Check data sheets for system limits
- Inspect for cpu usage, appfw, DHT and memory related activity. Monitor appfw sessions
- nsconmsg -g cc_cpu_use -g appfwreq -g as -g dht -g mem_AS_OBJ -g mem_AS_COMPONENT -d current
• Monitor memory allocated and freed from App Firewall components and objects during the target time period. It helps in isolating the protection leading to high CPU usage.
- Profiler output
- Observe logs
• Isolate appfw check leading to high CPU
- Cookie protections
- Referer header check
Ascertain that autoupdate of signatures is not leading to high CPU (Disable to confirm).