Profile Management log files
The following logs can be useful when troubleshooting Profile management.
|Informal Name||Log Name||Location||Type of Log Information|
|Windows event log||%SystemRoot%\system32\LogFiles||The Windows event log, which you view with Microsoft Event Viewer, is used primarily for error reporting. Only errors are written to it.|
|Profile management log file||#_pm.log||%SystemRoot%\system32\LogFiles\UserProfileManager||Informational messages and warnings, including errors, are written to the Profile Management log file.The domainname is the computer’s domain and the computername is its name. If the domain cannot be determined, this log file is called UserProfileManager.log.|
|Profile management configuration log file||#_pm_config.log||%SystemRoot%\system32\LogFiles\UserProfileManager||The configuration log file captures the GPO and .ini file settings even if logging is turned off. If the domain cannot be determined it is called UserProfileManager_pm_config.|
If requested by Citrix Technical Support, you may also need to examine the log files created with Citrix Diagnostic Facility.
The rest of this topic describes the contents of the Profile management log file.
Profile management log file - entry types
- Common warnings. All common warnings.
- Common information. All common information.
- File system notifications. One log entry is created each time a processed file or folder is changed.
- File system actions. File system operations performed by Profile management.
- Registry actions. Registry actions performed by Profile management.
- Registry differences at logoff. All registry keys in the hive HKCU that have been changed in a session. Important: This setting produces large amounts of output in the log file.
- Active Directory actions. Each time Profile management queries the Active Directory, an entry is written to the log file.
- Policy values. When the Profile management service starts or a policy refresh occurs, policy values are written to the log file.
- Logon. The series of actions during logon are written to the log file.
- Logoff. The series of actions during logoff are written to the log file.
- Personalized user information. Where applicable, user and domain names are logged to dedicated columns of the log file.
When the Citrix policy setting for each entry type is enabled, that entry type is logged.
Profile management log file - format
Each line in the log file has several fields, separated by semicolons.
|Date||Date of the log entry|
|Time||Time of the log entry (including milliseconds)|
|Severity||Either INFORMATION, WARNING, or ERROR|
|Domain||The domain of the user (where applicable)|
|User name||The name of the user (where applicable)|
|Session ID||The session ID (where applicable)|
|Thread ID||The ID of the thread that created this line|
|Function and description||The name of the Profile management function executing at the time, and the log message|