Deploy using System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2
You can use Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to deploy Citrix Receiver for Windows.
Note Only Citrix Receiver for Windows Version 4.5 and later supports SCCM deployment.
There are four parts to completing the deployment of Citrix Receiver for Windows using SCCM:
- Adding Citrix Receiver for Windows to the SCCM deployment
- Adding distribution points
- Deploying the Receiver software to the software center
- Creating Device Collections
Adding Citrix Receiver for Windows to the SCCM deployment
Copy the downloaded Citrix Receiver to a folder on the Configuration Manager server and launch the Configuration Manager console.
Select Software Library> Application Management. Right-click Application and click Create Application. The Create Application wizard appears.
In the General pane, select Manually specify the application information and click Next.
In the General Information pane, specify information about the application such as Name, Manufacturer, Software version, and so on.
In the Application Catalog wizard, specify additional information such as Language, Application name, User category and so on and click Next.
Note: Users can see the information you specify here.
In the Deployment Type pane, click Add to configure the deployment type for Citrix Receiver setup.
The Create Deployment Type wizard appears.
- In the General pane: Set the deployment type to Windows Installer (*.msi file), select Manually specify the deployment type information and click Next.
- In the General Information pane: Specify deployment type details (For example: Receiver Deployment) and click Next.
- In the Content pane:
- Provide the path where the Citrix Receiver setup file is present. For example: Tools on SCCM server.
- Specify Installation program as one of the following:
- CitrixReceiver.exe /silent for default silent installation.
- CitrixReceiver.exe /silent /includeSSON to enable domain pass-through.
- CitrixReceiver.exe /silent SELFSERVICEMODE=false to install receiver in Non-Self Service Mode.
- Specify Uninstall program as CitrixReceiver.exe /uninstall (to enable uninstallation through SCCM).
In the Detection Method pane: Select Configure rules to detect the presence of this deployment type and click Add Clause. The Detection Rule dialog appears.
Set Setting Type to File System.
- Under Specify the file or folder to detect the application, set the following:
- Type – From the drop-down menu, select File.
- Path – %ProgramFiles (x86)%\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver
- File or folder name – Receiver.exe
- Property – From the drop-down menu, select Version
- Operator – From the drop-down menu, select Greater than or equal to
- Value – Type 188.8.131.52534
Note: This rule combination applies to Citrix Receiver for Windows upgrades as well.
In the User Experience pane, set:
- Installation behavior - Install for system
- Logon requirement - Whether or not a user is logged on
- Installation program visibility - Normal.
Note: Do not specify any requirements and dependencies for this deployment type.
In the Summary pane, verify the settings for this deployment type. Click Next.
A success message appears.
In the Completion pane, a new deployment type (Receiver Deployment) is listed under the Deployment types.
- Click Next and click Close.
Add distribution points
Right-click Receiver for Windows in the Configuration Manager console and select Distribute Content. The Distribute Content wizard appears.
In the Content Distribution pane, click Add > Distribution Points.
The Add Distribution Points dialog appears.
Browse to the SCCM server where the content is available and click OK.
In the Completion pane, a success message appears
Deploy the Receiver software to the software center
Right-click Receiver for Windows in the Configuration Manager console select Deploy.
The Deploy Software wizard appears.
Select Browse against Collection (can be Device Collection or User Collection) where the application is to be deployed and click Next.
In the Deployment Settings pane, set Action to Install and Purpose to Required (enables unattended installation). Click Next.
In the Scheduling pane, specify the schedule to deploy the software on target devices.
In the User Experience pane, set the User notifications behavior; select Commit changes at deadline or during a maintenance window (requires restart) and click Next to complete the Deploy Software wizard.
In the Completion pane, a success message appears.
Reboot the target endpoint devices (required only to start installation immediately).
On endpoint devices, Citrix Receiver for Windows is visible in the Software Center under Available Software. Installation is triggered automatically based on the schedule you configure. Alternatively, you can also schedule or install on demand. The installation status is displayed in the Software Center after the installation starts.
Creating device collections
Launch the Configuration Manager console, click Assets and Compliance> Overview> Devices.
Right-click Device Collections and select Create Device Collection.
The Create Device Collection wizard appears.
In the General pane, type the name for the device and click Browse for Limiting collection.
This determines the scope of devices, which can be one the default Device Collections created by SCCM. Click Next.
In the Membership Rules pane, click Add Rule for filtering the devices.
The Create Direct Membership Rule wizard appears.
In the Search for Resources pane, select the Attribute name based on the devices you want to filter and provide the Value for Attribute name to select the devices.
Click Next. In the Select Resources pane, select the devices that are required to be part of device collection.
In the Completion pane a success message appears.
In the Membership rules pane, a new rule is listed. Click Next.
In the Completion pane, a success message appears. Click Close to complete the Create Device Collection wizard.
The new device collection is listed in Device Collections. The new device collection is a part of Device Collections while browsing in Deploy Software wizard.
When you set the MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL attribute to False, deploying Citrix Receiver for Windows using SCCM might not be successful. As per our analysis, Citrix Receiver for Windows is NOT the cause of this failure. Also, retrying might yield successful deployment.