Single bundle upgrade
Note: The Citrix ADM service connect is enabled by default, after you install or upgrade the Citrix ADC SDX appliance to release 13.1. For more details, see Data governance and Citrix ADM service connect.
The single bundle upgrade, available from 11.0 and later releases, combines all the components except the ADC VPX instance image and LOM firmware in a single image file. This file is called the SDX image.
Using this image, you can upgrade all the components in a single step, eliminating the chances of incompatibility between various components. Single bundle upgrade also ensures that your appliance is always running a version that Citrix has tested and supports. Because all the SDX components are combined in a single file, the SDX image file is larger than the Management Service image file.
The file name of the image is of the format
build-sdx-13.1-<build_number>.tgz. After the Management Service is upgraded to SDX 13.1 the new GUI does not display the options to upload the Citrix Hypervisor image file, supplemental packs, or hotfixes. The options are missing because SDX 13.1 does not support upgrading individual components.
Points to note
- The single bundle upgrade is a multi-step process that might take up to 90 mins.
- First, the Management Service is upgraded to the newer, provided version. During the upgrade, connectivity to the Management Service might be lost. Reconnect to the Management Service to monitor the status of the upgrade.
- Next, the new Management Service upgrades the Citrix Hypervisor and completes the remainder of the appliance upgrade. Management Service from release 11.0 and later can perform the full Citrix Hypervisor upgrade.
- Do not restart the appliance during the Citrix Hypervisor upgrade.
- Citrix recommends that you use a Citrix Hypervisor serial console (or LOM console) to monitor the Citrix Hypervisor upgrade.
Upgrade the entire appliance to 13.1
Note: The upgrade process reboots the entire SDX appliance, including all VPX instances, multiple times. Before performing this procedure, if the VPX instances are in an HA setup, fail over all primary HA nodes to the secondary node. If you do not have an HA deployment, plan for the downtime accordingly.
To upgrade the appliance:
- Upload the single bundle image file, navigate to Configuration> Management Service > Software Images and then click Upload.
- Navigate to Configuration > System > System Administration.
- In the System Administration group, click Upgrade Appliance. The upgrade process takes a few minutes.
Before the upgrade, Management Service displays the following information:
- Single bundle image file name.
- The current version of SDX running on your appliance.
- The selected version to which the appliance is to be upgraded.
- Approximate time to upgrade the appliance.
- Miscellaneous information.
Before clicking Upgrade Appliance, make sure that you have reviewed all the information displayed on the screen. You cannot abort the upgrade process once it starts.
Unsupported upgrade paths
|Source Version||Target Version|
|11.0||13.0–64.x and higher|
|11.1–65.x||12.1-55.x or lower|
|11.1-65.x||13.0-47.x or lower|