Manual XenApp migrations
Prerequisites for manual XenApp migrations
Before you perform a manual XenApp migration, ensure you have met all the requirements in this section.
XenApp 7.x deployment in a supported resource location
You can deploy XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x to your resource location using your own deployment process or you can use the XenApp and XenDesktop blueprints available in Smart Tools. For more information about using these blueprints, see the following topics:
- Create a XenApp and XenDesktop production deployment with Provisioning Services on Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere
- Create a XenApp and XenDesktop production deployment on Microsoft Azure Classic
- Create a XenApp and XenDesktop production deployment on AWS
XenApp 6.5 PowerShell SDK
All XenApp 7.x Controllers have the XenApp 6.5 PowerShell SDK installed. The Citrix Common Commands snap-in in the SDK is required so you can run the scripts that will migrate your farm’s application and policy settings to your XenApp 7.x Site. If you intend to migrate to XenApp 7.13, you will need to install the SDK, as it’s not included in the XenApp installer. Previous XenApp versions include the SDK as part of the XenApp installation.
PowerShell execution policy
All XenApp 6.x and 7.x controllers have the PowerShell execution policy set to RemoteSigned. The migration process involves running PowerShell scripts and all XenApp servers must have permission to run them. Before migrating, verify the execution policy on each server by running Get-ExecutionPolicy in the PowerShell console.
Migration task overview
- Download and execute the PowerShell scripts on the XenApp 6.5 controller and upload the resulting configuration XML files to Smart Tools.
- Smart Tools analyzes the XenApp 6.x configuration XML files. Afterward, you select the application and policy settings you wish to migrate.
- Migrate the selected applications and policies. Download and execute the automatically-generated PowerShell scripts on the XenApp 7.x controller.
For instructions for performing a manual XenApp migration, see Migrate XenApp 6.x manually with Smart Tools.