May 28, 2016
From Director, use the shadow user feature to view and work directly on a user’s virtual machine or session. The user must be connected to the machine that you want to shadow. Verify this by checking the machine name listed in the user title bar.
- In the User Details view, select the user session.
Activate shadowing for the selected user session:
- For machine monitoring, in the Activity Manager view, click Shadow.
- For session monitoring, in the User Details view, locate the Session Details panel and click Shadow.
- After the connection initializes, a dialog box prompts you to open or save the .msrcincident file.
- Open the incident file with the Remote Assistance Viewer, if not already selected by default. A confirmation prompt appears on the user device.
- Instruct the user to click Yes to start the machine or session sharing.
For additional control, ask the user to share keyboard and mouse control.
Streamline Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers for shadowing
Configure your Microsoft Internet Explorer browser to automatically open the downloaded Microsoft Remote Assistance (.msra) file with the Remote Assistance client.
To do this, you must enable the Automatic prompting for file downloads setting in the Group Policy editor:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page > Internet Zone > Automatic prompting for file downloads.
By default, this option is enabled for sites in the Local intranet zone. If the Director site is not in the Local intranet zone, consider manually adding the site to this zone.