AppDNA integrates with the Citrix licensing system. All new AppDNA licenses are issued through www.citrix.com. However, if you are familiar with the Citrix licensing system, you will notice that there are some important differences between how you work with AppDNA licenses compared to how you work with the licenses for other Citrix products.
This topic provides an overview of the key features of AppDNA licensing, how it differs from the licensing of other Citrix products, and compatibility with earlier versions of AppDNA. This is followed by links to topics that provide more detailed information.
Key features of AppDNA licensing
Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp Platinum retail licenses provide access to all AppDNA features. Platinum evaluation, demo, and not for resale licenses are not supported for activation. Alternatively, you can license AppDNA separately, as the AppDNA Standard or AppDNA Enterprise editions. AppDNA licensing has the following features.
- For all editions:
- AppDNA licenses are applied to the AppDNA database. This means that if you have multiple AppDNA databases, each one is licensed separately.
- For purchased licenses, AppDNA automatically unlocks applications during analysis, up to your purchased limit. When AppDNA does this, it unlocks the applications for the licensed features. For example, suppose you purchased the AppDNA Standard edition. When AppDNA unlocks a desktop application, it automatically unlocks the application for all of the reports that come with the Standard edition apart from the WebApp Compatibility feature, which does not apply to a desktop application.
- After the limit has been reached, you can manually unlock a few additional applications (up to 10% of the licensed limit). This additional allowance is called the license reserve.
- AppDNA licenses are tied to the machine on which the AppDNA license server is installed. (This is normally the machine on which the AppDNA server is installed.) If you move the AppDNA license server from one machine to another, you need to transfer the licenses for your AppDNA database.
- For XenDesktop or XenApp Platinum editions:
- If you have already purchased AppDNA, you can activate the XenDesktop or XenApp Platinum license on top of your existing licenses on any (or all) of your databases.
- AppDNA checks for a valid Subscription Advantage account during the initial Platinum activation and during any upgrade of AppDNA.
- For AppDNA Standard and Enterprise editions:
- The AppDNA Standard and Enterprise editions provide licenses for reports for various target technologies, such as Windows client or server. The Enterprise edition includes all the functionality of the Standard edition, plus the Server-based Computing feature (for XA hosted analysis) and the Virtualization feature (for App-V compatibility analysis). Licenses control the number of applications for which you can view the application and remediation reports.
- These editions have a Trial license built in and can be used with an Evaluation or Retail license.
- After installing and using AppDNA, you can upgrade your entitlements (for example, to upgrade from Standard to Enterprise or purchase additional licenses to increase the number of applications). After downloading additional licenses from www.citrix.com, you activate them in the Configure AppDNA Environment wizard.
- If you have an evaluation license, you can choose which applications you want to view reports for in the Apply Licenses screen in AppDNA. This process is called unlocking applications. Alternatively, you can choose to unlock the applications automatically during analysis.