Provisioning Services supports upgrading to the latest product version from versions starting with 6.1.
Before attempting to upgrade a Provisioning Services farm:
- Select a maintenance window that has the least amount of traffic
- Back up the Provisioning Services database
- Back up all vDisks
To upgrade from a previous Provisioning Services farm, complete the following procedures:
- Upgrade the first Provisioning Server, which upgrades the Provisioning Services database.
- Upgrade Consoles. The Console is a separate executable that can be installed on upgraded servers (PVS_Console.exe or PVS_Console_64.exe). Citrix recommends upgrading Provisioning Services server and console software at the same time for each Provisioning Server system in the farm. Remote Consoles can be upgraded at any time.
- Upgrade the remaining Provisioning Servers within the farm.
- Upgrade vDisks.
Caution: If you are upgrading a Provisioning Services vDisk within a XenDesktop deployment, upgrade the Provisioning Services master target device software before upgrading the XenDesktop VDA software.
The Upgrade Wizard includes the following utilities:
- The UpgradeAgent.exe runs on the target device to upgrade previously installed product software.
- The UpgradeManager.exe runs on the Provisioning Server to control the upgrade process on the target device.