Note: This article applies to installing components on machines with Windows operating systems. For information about VDAs for Linux operating systems, see Red Hat Linux VDAs and SUSE Linux VDAs.
In this article:
Important: Before beginning any installation, review the Prepare to install article, which describes the installers and things you should be familiar with before installation. It also guides you through items you will see and specify in the graphical interface wizard. This article describes how to launch the graphical interface in a product installer.
You can use the graphical interface to:
- Install one or more core components: Delivery Controller, Citrix Studio, Citrix Director, License Server, and StoreFront.
- Install a Virtual Delivery Agent (VDA) on a master image or on a virtual or physical machine. You can also customize scripts provided on the media and then use them to install and remove VDAs in Active Directory.
- Customize a previously-installed VDA.
- Install a Universal Print Server server component. The Controller already has the Universal Print Server client functionality; you need only install the UpsServer component on the print servers in your environment. After you install the component, follow the configuration instructions in the Configure printers article.
- Upgrade components; see the Upgrade a deployment article.
Both the full-product installer and the standalone VDA installer have a graphical interface.
You can use the full-product installer to install core components, VDAs, and the Universal Print Server server component.
- Download the product package from Citrix. Citrix account credentials are required to access the download site.
- Unzip the file. Optionally, burn a DVD of the ISO file.
- Log on to the server where you are installing the components, using a local administrator account.
- Insert the DVD in the drive or mount the ISO file. If the installer does not launch automatically, double-click the AutoSelect application or the mounted drive.
- Choose whether to install XenApp or XenDesktop.
- Select the component you want to install:
- If you are just getting started, select Delivery Controller in the left column. As the wizard continues, you can choose which components to install on the machine where you are running the installer (Delivery Controller, Studio, Director, License Server, StoreFront).
- If you have already installed some components and want to extend your deployment, click the component you want to install from the right column. This column offers core components and the Universal Print Server.
- To install a VDA, click the available VDA entry in the middle column; the installer knows which one is right for the operating system where you're running the installer.
Follow the wizard. Remember: the Prepare to install article provides guidance about information you see and specify in the wizard. If you are installing a VDA, an automatic restart is enabled by default when the installation completes; the restart is required before the VDA can be used in a Site.
Important: The Prepare to install article provides guidance about information you see and specify during installation, especially about handling restarts and extraction space when using the standalone VDA installer.
Citrix account credentials are required to access the download site. You must either have elevated administrative privileges before starting the installation or use Run as administrator. Disable User Account Control (UAC).
- Download the appropriate package from Citrix: VDAServerSetup.exe (for server OS machines), or VDAWorkstationSetup.exe (for desktop OS machines). For single user, single server OS deployments (for example, delivering Windows Server 2012 to one user for web development), use the VDAWorkstationSetup.exe package. For more information, see the Server VDI article.
- Right-click the package and choose Run as administrator.
- Follow the wizard. An automatic restart is enabled by default when the installation completes; the restart is required before the VDA can be used in a Site.
If you want to customize a VDA that you've already installed:
- From the Windows feature for removing or changing programs, select Citrix Virtual Delivery Agent <version>, then right-click and select Change.
- Select Customize Virtual Delivery Agent Settings. When the installer launches, you can change the Controller addresses, TCP/IP port to register with the Controller (default = 80), or whether to automatically open Windows Firewall port exceptions.