You can create Image Templates to publish Layered Images to VMware Horizon View Composer where you can then use the Layered Image(s) to provision servers on your chosen publishing platform. The Image Template stores your Layer assignments, along with a Layer icon and description. You can easily edit an Image Template and use it to publish new versions of your Layered Images.
As long as you select a VMware Horizon for vSphere Connector Configuration, using this Image Template to publish a Layered Image will result in a VM in a ready-to-use state, the image shut down and a snapshot taken. You can use the VM in your Horizon environment without further modifications. Each Layered image is a new 'Parent VM' that you can select for your Linked Clones pool.
To create an Image Template you need:
- A Platform Layer containing the software required for your environment.
- The Platform Layer must include:
- The same hardware settings as the OS Layer you are using. (You choose the hardware settings when deploying the VM for the OS and Platform Layers.)
- The software and settings required for your environment.
Create an Image Template
To create an Image Template:
- In the App Layering Management Console (UMC), select the Images module, then click Create Template. This opens the Create Template wizard.
- In the Name and Description tab, enter a Name for the template and notes in the Description field, so you can identify the template when choosing one for publishing a Layered Image.
- In the OS Layer tab, select one of the Available OS Layers. If there is more than one Layer Version, the most recent version is selected by default. You can choose an older version by expanding the Layer and choosing a different one.
- In the App Assignment tab, select the App Layers to include in the Layered Images that you publish using this template.
On the Connector page, select the VMware Horizon for vSphere Connector Configuration for the location where you want to publish the Layered Image.
If the Connector Configuration you need is not available, add one. Click New, choose the Connector Type, and follow the instructions to Create a Connector Configuration.
In the Platform Layer tab, select a Platform Layer with the tools and hardware settings that you need to publish Layered Images to your environment.
On the Layered Image Disk page, edit the following fields, as needed:
- (Optional) Layered Image Disk File name. Enter a name for the Layered Image Disk.
- Layered Image Disk Format. Use the default format, since this is the one required for your selected environment.
- Elastic Layering - Select the Application Layering option to activate Elastic Layering on this Layered Image.
- User Layer - (Labs feature) When enabled in System Settings, you can select the Office 365 option to save the settings and data for users assigned an Office 365 App layer. Similarly, the Full option saves the settings and data for users assigned any other App Layer (exclusive of Office 365.)
- On the Confirm and Complete tab, enter any comments you would like for this layer, and click Create Template.
The new Template icon appears in the Unidesk Images module.
You can now use this image template to publish layered images to VMware Horizon View running in vSphere, as described in this article: