The Citrix XenApp Management Pack supports Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 and Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 SP 1 on servers running Citrix XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2008 and Citrix XenApp 6 for Windows Server 2008 R2. The Management Pack allows you to monitor the health, availability, and configuration of XenApp servers and server farms, and anticipate and react quickly to problems that might occur.
Operations Manager is a management solution for Microsoft Windows server deployments that collects, filters, analyzes, responds to, and reports information about computers—all from a single view on a desktop console. You can use Operations Manager for performance monitoring, event management, alerting and reporting, and trend analysis.
Operations Manager also includes an extensive product support knowledge base, with links to Knowledge Base articles on the Microsoft Web site that provides you with centralized access to the information you require to manage a complex enterprise environment and troubleshoot problems occurring on servers and applications across the network.
For more information about Operations Manager, see Microsoft’s Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/.
The Management Pack interprets and reports information supplied by:
- The XenApp Provider that runs on Citrix servers
- The Licensing Provider that runs on license servers
- System events generated on Citrix servers
Key features and benefits of using the Management Pack in your XenApp deployment are:
- State monitoring
- The Management Pack monitors the overall state of your deployment, determining its availability and performance state at any given time by comparing real-time data collected from the Provider and the Licensing Provider against thresholds defined in the Management Pack. You can view this information at different levels, from the state of the deployment as a whole, right down to the state of individual servers.
- Event management
- The Management Pack captures a variety of events from servers and server farms. These events are collated and then presented through the Operations Manager Console, allowing an overall view of server operation.
- Performance monitoring
- You can use the Management Pack to monitor server performance. You can customize rules and create new ones to set thresholds for key performance attributes in the server farm.
- Extensive knowledge base
- The Management Pack includes an extensive product support knowledge base, including links to relevant Citrix Knowledge Center articles. Centralized access to information about managing servers allows you to quickly interpret events and troubleshoot problems.
- Customizable monitors, rules, and alerts
- Changes in state, such as raised events or breached thresholds, trigger rules and alerts to notify you of any state changes. You can configure the Management Pack to customize how it responds to state-changing events by modifying and extending the monitors and rules to meet the needs of your environment.
Important: Alerts relating to farm metric servers or summary database servers are not raised on servers running XenApp 5.
- Citrix views
- Citrix views are available in the Citrix Presentation Server folder. These views allow you to monitor events and alerts raised for servers and server farms, and to identify trends and performance issues occurring on servers and published applications.
- Easy installation
- The Management Pack consists of three files that are available on the installation media or for download from http://www.citrix.com/. To install the Management Pack, simply import these files into Operations Manager using the Operations Manager Console.
- Sealed Management Pack
- The Management Pack is packaged, versioned, and signed with a certificate. The certificate used to sign the Management Pack is provided by a publicly trusted Certificate Authority verifying that the software was developed and produced by Citrix. Sealing the Management Pack means that you can import and customize the Management Pack and all your customizations are saved separately from the original pack. When you upgrade to a new version of the Management Pack, all your customizations are retained and included in the next version of the pack.
For further information about installing the XenApp Provider and the Licensing Provider, see Managing Providers and WMI.