The server components for VM hosted apps are:
- XenDesktop Controller. The SDKs are automatically installed when you install the Controller.
- Desktop Studio. The SDKs are automatically installed when you install Desktop Studio. Desktop Studio configures the VM hosted apps site.
- Web Interface. VM hosted apps requires the version of Web Interface provided with it.
- Desktop Director. This Web-based tool enables level-1 and level-2 IT Support staff to monitor a VM hosted apps deployment and perform day-to-day maintenance tasks. Installation of Desktop Director is optional.
- License Server. A VM hosted apps site can use an existing license server.
Installing the server components requires local administration permissions.
To install server components from the command line, see "XenDesktopServerSetup.exe" in the XenDesktop 5 product documentation in the Citrix eDocs Archive.
The AutoSelect.exe file performs a wizard-based installation of some or all of these components, allowing you to select the components you want to install. By default, all components are selected.
When AutoSelect.exe or XenDesktopServerSetup.exe installs the Web Interface:
- The Web Interface's software prerequisites are install automatically
- Session sharing and workspace control are disabled by default
The Web Interface autorun provided with VM hosted apps does not install the software prerequisites or disable session sharing and workspace control.
To install server components using the installation wizard
- Run AutoSelect.exe.
- Select Install XenDesktop.
- Accept the End User License Agreement.
- By default, all server components are selected for installation. Clear any components you do not want to install at this time.
- If you do not want AutoSelect.exe to install the Web Interface, clear Web Access.
- If you want to use an existing license server for your VM hosted apps deployment, clear License Server.
- Accept the default install location or choose another one.
- Manage firewall configuration. If the Windows firewall is detected, the necessary ports can be opened automatically for you. If another firewall is detected, you are told which ports you need to open manually.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installations.
- If you installed the Desktop Studio, unless you clear Configure XenDesktop after closing on the last page of the installation wizard, Desktop Studio starts so that you can configure the VM hosted apps site.
If Web Interface is not yet installed, install it before or after configuring the VM hosted apps site.
Repeat these steps to install server components on other servers.
To install Web Interface
- To install the Web Interface, locate WebInterface.exe file in the files you downloaded for VM hosted apps, in the x64/Web Interface folder or the x86/Web Interface folder.
- Run WebInterface.exe and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
See the Web Interface documentation for information on installing and configuring Web Interface. You can configure Web Interface so that your VM hosted apps site shares a Web Interface site with one or more XenApp server farms.
To remove server components
To remove the XenDesktop components used by VM hosted apps, use the Windows control panel.
Before removing a Controller from the server, remove it from the VM hosted apps site. For information on removing a Controller from a site, see "To remove a controller" in the XenDesktop 5 product documentation in the Citrix eDocs Archive.