The Citrix XenDesktop Essentials Service allows management and delivery of Windows 10 virtual desktops from Microsoft Azure.
XenDesktop Essentials Service is designed specifically for the Azure Marketplace. Citrix and Microsoft partner to deliver an integrated experience for XenDesktop Essentials and Azure IaaS. This partnership gives you a single interface to deliver a complete Windows 10 digital workspace from Azure.
By using XenDesktop Essentials Service, you can:
- Deploy and secure Windows 10 virtual desktops on Azure
- Deliver best-in-class user experience by using Citrix HDX capabilities
- Provide secure access on any device by using Citrix Receiver
- Manage and administer the deployment from Microsoft Azure and Citrix Cloud
Citrix XenDesktop Essentials Service simplifies Windows 10 deployment. You can deploy desktops quickly, manage at scale, and deliver a rich user access experience from a single management plane.
You manage the Windows 10 desktops by using Studio and you monitor sessions from Director. Users connect to their Windows 10 virtual desktops by logging on with Citrix Receiver.
XenDesktop Essentials, the Citrix Cloud, and Microsoft Azure work together. During configuration, you create a Microsoft Azure subscription. After that, you install the Citrix Cloud Connectors, which provide access to your Azure resources from Citrix Cloud. You then create a Windows 10 master image that includes the VDA. The master image provides the template for desktops you deliver to users.
When you complete those tasks, you create a host connection to Microsoft Azure. Studio and Director are available in your cloud console. Use Studio and Director to manage and monitor your XenDesktop Essentials Service.
Deploy NetScaler VPX to provide secure access to Windows 10 desktops from anywhere. StoreFront is hosted from Citrix Cloud. You provide your users with the URL.
Users connect to their desktops by using Citrix Receiver, with the URL you provide. When users log on to Citrix Receiver, the Windows 10 desktop icon appears in the StoreFront window.
The diagram shows an architectural overview of a XenDesktop Essentials Service deployment.
XenDesktop Essentials Service requires certain complementary products and components and specific account permissions for installation, configuration, and operation.
XenDesktop Essentials Service is designed to support Microsoft Azure exclusively. Your Azure environment must meet certain minimum requirements to support XenDesktop Essentials Service:
- An Azure subscription with an enterprise agreement
- Windows Server Active Directory or Azure Active Directory Domain Service
- An Azure Active Directory tenant
Citrix Cloud Connector authenticates and encrypts communication between Citrix Cloud and your resource locations. With XenDesktop Essentials Service, your resources are located in Microsoft Azure. Citrix Cloud requires that you install the Citrix Cloud Connector on two virtual machines to ensure continuous availability of your resource locations.
For more information about Cloud Connectors, see Citrix Cloud Connector.
The Citrix Cloud Connector servers must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Install the Cloud Connector on Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016 virtual machines in Azure. The virtual machine must have at least 32 GB of disk space and 4 GB of memory (Microsoft Azure Standard A2 v2 virtual machines).
- Enable .NET 4.5.
- Install the Cloud Connectors on virtual machines that are domain-joined.
- The virtual machines must be in the Active Directory domain where User accounts reside.
- Citrix recommends that you do not install a Cloud Connector on an Active Directory domain controller.
- Open outbound port 443 to allow access to the internet and the Citrix Cloud service.
- Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC) during installation.