To install the App Layering service, you deploy the appliance to a virtual machine in Citrix Hypervisor. If the appliance requires a static IP address, you configure one using the appliance configuration utility. The last section describes next steps.
To start installing App Layering, you need the following:
- A supported version of Citrix Hypervisor
Citrix Hypervisor account and privileges
A Citrix Hypervisor account to use for App Layering service.
The account must have Citrix Hypervisor privileges to:
- Create and remove virtual disks.
- Copy and delete layers on virtual disks by using Citrix Hypervisor file APIs.
- Citrix Hypervisor software and settings Access to the Citrix Hypervisor Tools to install on the layer.
- Citrix Hypervisor resource information The Citrix Hypervisor info listed in Citrix Hypervisor Connector Configuration.
Download the installation package
Download the installation package, citrix_app_layering_citrix-hypervisor_4.x.x, from the Citrix download site. The zip file includes:
|Citrix Hypervisor_x.x.x.ova||OVA file for the appliance virtual machine|
|citrix_app_layering_agent_installer.exe||App Layering Agent installer|
|citrix_app_layering_os_machine_tools.exe||OS machine tools|
Deploy the App Layering appliance
To deploy the appliance:
- Download the installation zip file citrix_app_layering_Citrix Hypervisor_4.x.zip
Extract the Citrix Hypervisor_elm_4.x.x.x.ova file to a folder on your local drive.
In your XenCenter client, select File > Import.
- In the wizard that opens, select the following values:
- Import Source - Browse to the source on your local drive.
- Location - Choose the Citrix Hypervisor where you want to deploy the appliance.
- Storage - Use the default value to put storage disks on the Local Citrix Hypervisor Storage.
- Networking - Select the correct network for your Citrix Hypervisor configuration.
- Security - This tab is not available. Click Next.
- OS Fixup Settings - Select Don’t use Operating System Fixup.
- Transfer VM Settings - Choose the correct network and choose DHCP.
- Finish - Review your settings and then click Finish.
Switch to Notification view and wait for the deployment to complete. The process can take 20–35 minutes.
Switch to Infrastructure view.
Select your new appliance, which has the name: CentOS-7_x86_64_build_template_Citrix Hypervisor.
Click Properties, and enter a new name and description for your new appliance. The new virtual machine has 8 GB of memory and 4 CPUs. Take note of the IP address assigned in the Networking tab.
- Start Internet Explorer, type the IP address for the new appliance into the address bar and log in as “administrator” with the password “Unidesk1”.
The first time you log onto the appliance you are required to change the App Layering administrator passwords, For details, see Change administrative passwords.
Be sure to install the App Layering Agent, if your environment requires it. See the next section for details.
If you want the appliance to use a Static IP address
You can change the appliance’s IP address and/or its DNS servers. When the appliance is first deployed, the DNS settings are retrieved through DHCP. If DHCP is not available and you will be using static IP addresses, once you select Static, you are prompted to enter the IP addresses for your DNS servers.
Log in to the Appliance Configuration utility. Using either your hypervisor console or SSH, log into the appliance as administrator.
The first time you log in, use the default password, Unidesk1.
- At the Action prompt, enter C (for Configure Networking), and press Return.
- At the next prompt, type D for Dynamic (DHCP) or S for Static. If you choose Static, you will be prompted for the IP address and Subnet mask, along with default addresses for the Gateway and DNS addresses.
- When prompted, enter Y to save settings.
- At the Action prompt, enter Q to quit.
- Restart the appliance.
Once the appliance is installed and the IP address is correctly configured, you need to: