Publish layered images from template
- Correct for machine creation and View for on-prem hypervisors.
- Wrong for Citrix Provisioning, publishing straight to hypervisors and anything involving Azure.
Layered images are virtual machines composited from the layers and settings specified in an image template. Using an image template, you can publish as many layered images as you need to a location in your provisioning service or hypervisor that you specify in the connector configuration.
When layered images are published, you can use scripts to perform important layer-specific steps. For example, you can activate Microsoft Office, which may need to be done before the virtual machine is used as a master disk for your deployment tools.
The mechanism used to run these scripts can vary, including our own kmssetup.cmd functionality, run-once support, or even running the scripts manually. After all of the scripts run or other manual steps are taken and the virtual machine is in the desired state, a guest OS shutdown is initiated either by the scripts or manually. If you use the kmssetup.cmd functionality, there is a documented process for initiating a shutdown after all layer scripts and other kmssetup functionality are complete.
To publish a layered image:
- In the Images module, select one or more image templates that you want to publish.
- On the Action menu, select Publish Layered Image.
- On the Confirm and Complete page, select Publish Layered Images. For each Image Template, this starts a task called Publishing Layered Image. When each task completes, the task description provides the information you need to navigate to the image in your environment.
- At the end of the image creation process:
- If possible, the App Layering software powers on the virtual machine - This enables the guest OS to run any connector configuration scripts associated with the image.
- If the App Layering software does not power on the virtual machine, do so manually - Log in as the guest OS and run any required scripts associated with the image.
- The virtual machine shuts down - When the virtual machine is in the desired state, it shuts down and the status changes to Done.
- When the task completes, the task description provides the information you need to navigate to the image in your environment.
Use the information in the expanded Publishing layered image task to navigate to the location in your environment where you published the layered image.
Possible error message
If you receive the following error and you want to log into the published image to make changes, it must be through the local user and not a domain user.
This system was not shut down properly. Please log off immediately and contact your system administrator.