Back up and redundancy
Depending on how crucial the applications associated with your licenses are, you might want to create backup License Servers. Although Citrix stores backup copies of your licenses, downloading many replacement licenses can be time-consuming. If the License Server fails, you can store backup licenses on a network file share, or you can have a configured backup License Server ready.
Setting up redundancy solutions might be necessary only in mission-critical environments. For smaller or less mission-critical deployments, you can back up your License Server by creating a duplicate License Server that can be stored on or off the network.
You can ensure redundancy for your mission-critical environments by:
- Creating a clustered License Server. For more information about clustering and licensing, see Setting up the License Server on a Microsoft Cluster.
- Using the high availability feature on XenServer minimum release version 5.6.
- Duplicating the License Server and its contents. Give the duplicate computer the same name as the active License Server and store it off the network.
- Storing another License Server that has a different server name on the network. In this case, when the active License Server fails, you must change the backup server name to start using it as the active License Server.
- Using a network appliance. If you are using only one License Server to service license requests at any time, you can use a network appliance that detects server or network outages and route traffic to a backup License Server.
All methods let you exchange one server license for another without a loss of service, provided the exchange occurs within the grace period. For more information about the grace period, see “Grace periods” in Technical overview.
Remember these key points:
- Because license files reference the server specified during allocation, you can use the files only on a server that has the same binding information. That is, server name or FQDN or MAC address (possibly displayed on the portal as Ethernet address) as the original License Server.
- You cannot have two License Servers that have the same name on your network active at the same time.
- Add any other licenses that you download to both the active License Server and the backup License Server.