The Video Insight feature provides an easy and scalable solution for monitoring the metrics of the video optimization techniques used by NetScaler appliances to improve customer experience and operational efficiency, providing benefits such as:
- Manage the network during congestion in peak hours.
- Improve video play consistency and reduce video stalling.
- Enable new video service offerings (for example, Binge-on video services).
- Enable customers to select the best sustainable video quality.
- Provide a consistent user experience for the subscriber.
While optimizing the video traffic, the NetScaler appliance uses a special mechanism to dynamically pace the video bit-rate and a random sampling technique to estimate the savings from the optimization technique. For more information about the NetScaler Video Optimization feature, see Video Optimization. When you integrate NetScaler appliance with NetScaler MAS, it collects key information from the video data flowing through the NetScaler appliance. You can use this information to compare the optimized and unoptimized performance of the ABR video traffic, determine the savings due to optimization and so on.
Video Insight in NetScaler MAS provides metrics for the following types of video traffic:
- Progressive Download (PD) videos over HTTP
- ABR videos over HTTP
- ABR videos over HTTPS
- YouTube ABR videos over QUIC
To configure Video insight on a NetScaler instance, first enable the AppFlow feature, configure an AppFlow collector, action, and policy, and bind the policy globally. When you configure the collector, you must specify the IP address of the NetScaler MAS server on which you want to monitor the reports.
To configure video insight on a NetScaler instance, run the following commands to configure an AppFlow profile and policy and bind the AppFlow policy globally.
add appflow collector <name> -IPAddress <ipaddress> -port <port_number> -Transport logstream
set appflow param -videoInsight ENABLED
add appflow action <name> -collectors <string> -videoAnalytics ENABLED
add appflow policy <name> <rule> <action>
bind appflow global <policyName> <priority> [<gotoPriorityExpression>] [-type <type>]
enable ns mode ulfd
enable feature appflow
After enabling Video Insight in NetScaler MAS, you can view video optimization metrics such as, video classification, data volume, peak data rate, and ABR video plays. These metrics help you analyze your network and optimize the videos for improved subscriber experience, operational efficiency, and other performance criteria.
To view the Video Insight metrics in NetScaler MAS:
- In a web browser, type the IP address of the NetScaler MAS virtual appliance (for example, http://192.168.100.1).
- In User Name and Password, enter the administrator credentials.
- Navigate to Analytics > Video Insight.