Each NetScaler MAS release offers new and updated features with increased functionality. Citrix recommends you upgrade NetScaler MAS to the latest release to avail of the new features and bug fixes. A comprehensive list of enhancements, known issues, and bug fixes is included in the release notes accompanying the release announcement. It is also important to understand the licensing framework and types of licenses before you start to upgrade. For NetScaler MAS licensing information, see Licensing.
After the upgrade operation is started, NetScaler MAS restarts and the existing connections are terminated and reconnected when the upgrade is completed successfully. The existing configuration is preserved, but NetScaler MAS does not process any data until the upgrade is successfully completed.
When you upgrade NetScaler MAS, the NetScaler MAS image files are copied to the corresponding /var/mps/mps_images folder. To prevent image files from occupying storage space after you upgrade NetScaler MAS, you can select an option to have the images deleted automatically. NetScaler MAS then deletes these images from the /var/mps/mps_images after the upgrade is successful.
For NetScaler MAS servers in high availability mode, you can upgrade either by accessing the active node or the load balancing virtual server IP address. Both the NetScaler MAS servers are automatically upgraded to the latest build once you initiate the upgrade process in either of the servers.
Note the following recommended precautions:
- Back up the NetScaler MAS server before you upgrade.
- After the upgrade, you might have to re-establish connections between NetScaler MAS and the browser. This should typically happen automatically if the browser is not refreshed when NetScaler MAS is upgraded.
- For NetScaler MAS servers in high availability pair, when upgrading, do not make any configuration changes from either of the nodes.
To upgrade NetScaler MAS
1. In a web browser, type the IP address of the NetScaler MAS server.
Note: For NetScaler MAS servers in High Availability mode, type the IP address of either of the NetScaler MAS servers in the HA pair, or the load balancing virtual server IP address.
2. In the User Name and Password fields, enter the administrator credentials.
3. Navigate to System > System Administrations. Under the System Administration sub-heading, click Upgrade NetScaler MAS.
4. On the Upgrade NetScaler MAS page, select the Clean software image on successful upgrade check box if you want to delete image files after upgrade. Selecting this option automatically removes the NetScaler MAS image files upon upgrade. This option is selected by default.
Note: If you do not select this check box before starting the upgrade process, you have to manually delete the images if you want them removed.
5. You can then upload a new image file by selecting either Local (your local machine) or Appliance (the build file must be present on the NetScaler MAS virtual appliance).
5. Click OK. Upgrade process starts along with the following message.