Preparing the Site and Rack
SD-WAN appliances have specific site and rack requirements. You must make sure that adequate environmental control and power density are available. Racks must be bolted to the ground, have sufficient airflow, and have adequate power and network connections. Preparing the site and rack are important steps in the installation process and will help ensure a smooth installation.
The appliance should be installed in a server room or server cabinet with the following features:
An air conditioner, preferably a dedicated computer room air conditioner (CRAC), capable of maintaining the cabinet or server room at a temperature of no more than 27 degrees C/80.6 degrees F at altitudes of up to 2100 m/7000 ft, or 18 degrees C/64.4 degrees F at higher altitudes, a humidity level no greater than 45 percent, and a dust-free environment.
Wiring capable of handling at least 4,000 watts per rack unit in addition to power needs for the CRAC.
The rack on which you install your appliance should meet the following criteria:
Racks should be either integrated into a purpose-designed server cabinet or be the floor-to-ceiling type, bolted down at both top and bottom to ensure stability. If you have a cabinet, it should be installed perpendicular to a load-bearing wall for stability and sufficient airflow. If you have a server room, your racks should be installed in rows spaced at least 1 meter/3 feet apart for sufficient airflow. Your rack must allow your IT personnel unfettered access to the front and back of each server and to all power and network connections.
At minimum, two standard power outlets per unit.
At minimum, four Ethernet connections per rack unit.
One empty rack unit for each SD-WAN 210 appliances.
- Determine the placement of each component in the rack before you install the rack.
- Install the equipment near an electrical outlet for easy access.
- Mount equipment in a rack with sufficient airflow for safe operation.
- For a closed or multiple-unit rack assembly, the ambient operating temperature of the rack environment might be greater than the ambient temperature of the room. Therefore, consider the lowest and highest operating temperatures of the equipment when making a decision about where to install the appliance in the rack.
The 210-SE appliance can be installed in the following three installation modes:
- Desktop mount.
- Wall mount.
One empty rack unit for each SD-WAN 400 and 410 SE appliances. Two empty rack units for SD-WAN 4000/4100/5100 SE appliances.
Note: You can order the following rail kits separately.
- Compact 4-post rail kit, which fits racks of 23 to 33 inches.
- 2-post rail kit, which fits 2-post racks.