Citrix SD-WAN VPX-SE Versus VPX-WANOP
This section outlines the essential differences between installing a SD-WAN VPX (VPX-SE) for deployment in your SD-WAN network, as compared to a SD-WAN VPX for WAN Optimization.
The primary differences when installing and configuring a SD-WAN VPX-SE virtual appliance from SD-WAN WANOP VPX, are as follows:
- Download the following installation files from the Citrix SD-WAN downloads site (http://www.citrix.com/downloads.html).
Remote licenses are supported for SD-WAN VPX-SE.
- To install SD-WAN VPX-SE on XenServer, download this file:
- To install SD-WAN VPX-SE on VMware ESXi Server, download this file:
Where <version> is the current SD-WAN version number.
- SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance supports the following server platforms:
- XenServer Hypervisor 6.5 SP1
- VMware Hypervisor ESXi server, version 5.5.0 or higher
- SD-WAN VPX-SE supports both Inline and PBR deployments; however, WCCP deployments are not supported for VPX-SE.
- The Virtual Machine for the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance must be installed manually, on either the XenServer or VMware ESXi Server platform. Currently, there is no installation wizard for this procedure.
- The minimum configuration requirements for the Virtual Machine are as follows:
- Virtual CPUs: 4
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Virtual Datastore: 40 GB disk
- Management Interface: 1 (default)
- SD-WAN VPX-SE interface specifications are as follows:
- SD-WAN VPX-SE supports a maximum number of five interfaces.
- The first interface is reserved for use as the Management IP Address for the Virtual Appliance.
- Before powering up the new VM for the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance, you must configure and assign additional interfaces (one each) for the LAN and WAN.
- For VPX-SE, bridges are not created by default for the data interface (for example, eth1 and eth2).
- If you are not using DHCP, you must configure a static Management IP Address for the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance.
DHCP is enabled by default for the SD-WAN VPX-SE Management IP Address.
To configure a static Management IP Address for a SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance, do the following:
- Open the vSphere Client or XenServer Client where you created the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Machine (VM).
- Open the vSphere or XenServer Console for the new SD-WAN VPX-SE, and log into the Administrator account for the VM.
- Default Administrator user name: admin
- Default Administrator password: password
- Enter the following command lines at the console CLI prompt:
pre codeblock management_ip set_management_ip set interface <ip> <subnetmask> <gateway>Where: - <ip> is the Management IP Address for the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance.* - <subnetmask>* is the subnet mask used to define the network in which the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance resides. - <gateway>* is the Gateway IP Address of the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance will use to communicate with external networks.
- Restart the SD-WAN VPX-SE Virtual Appliance VM.
See also the section, Setting the Management IP Addresses for the Appliances.