To install Citrix NetScaler virtual appliances on Microsoft Windows Server, you must first install Windows Server, with the Hyper-V role enabled, on a machine with adequate system resources. While installing the Hyper-V role, be sure to specify the network interface cards (NICs) on the server that Hyper-V will use to create the virtual networks. You can reserve some NICs for the host. Use Hyper-V Manager to perform the NetScaler virtual appliance installation.
NetScaler virtual appliance for Hyper-V is delivered in virtual hard disk (VHD) format. It includes the default configuration for elements such as CPU, network interfaces, and hard-disk size and format. After you install NetScaler virtual appliance, you can configure the network adapters on virtual appliance, add virtual NICs, and then assign the NetScaler IP address, subnet mask, and gateway, and complete the basic configuration of the virtual appliance.
Installing NetScaler Virtual Appliance on Microsoft Servers
After you have enabled the Hyper-V role on Microsoft Server and extracted the virtual appliance files, you can use Hyper-V Manager to install NetScaler virtual appliance. After you import the virtual machine, you need to configure the virtual NICs by associating them to the virtual networks created by Hyper-V.
You can configure a maximum of eight virtual NICs. Even if the physical NIC is DOWN, the virtual appliance assumes that the virtual NIC is UP, because it can still communicate with the other virtual appliances on the same host (server).
To install NetScaler Virtual Appliance on Microsoft Server by using Hyper-V Manager:
- To start Hyper-V Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Hyper-V Manager.
- In the navigation pane, under Hyper-V Manager, select the server on which you want to install NetScaler virtual appliance.
- On the Action menu, click Import Virtual Machine.
- In the Import Virtual Machine dialog box, in Location, specify the path of the folder that contains the NetScaler virtual appliance software files, and then select Copy the virtual machine (create a new unique ID). This folder is the parent folder that contains the Snapshots, Virtual Hard Disks, and Virtual Machines folders.
- Note: If you received a compressed file, make sure that you extract the files into a folder before you specify the path to the folder.
- Click Import.
- Verify that the virtual appliance that you imported is listed under Virtual Machines.
- To install another virtual appliance, repeat steps 2 through 6.
Auto-provisioning of NetScaler virtual appliance is optional. If auto-provisioning is not done, the virtual appliance provides an option to configure the IP address and so on.
To auto-provision NetScaler Virtual Appliance on Hyper-V:
1. Create an ISO9660 compliant ISO image using the xml file as depicted in the example. Make sure that the name of the xml file is userdata.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<Property oe:key="com.citrix.netscaler.ovf.version" oe:value="1.0"/>
<Property oe:key="com.citrix.netscaler.platform" oe:value="NS1000V"/>
<Property oe:key="com.citrix.netscaler.orch_env" oe:value="cisco-orch-env"/>
<Property oe:key="com.citrix.netscaler.mgmt.ip" oe:value="10.102.100.122"/>
<Property oe:key="com.citrix.netscaler.mgmt.netmask" oe:value="255.255.255.128"/>
<Property oe:key="com.citrix.netscaler.mgmt.gateway" oe:value="10.102.100.67"/></PropertySection>
2. Copy the ISO image to hyper-v server.
3. Select the virtual appliance that you imported, and then on the Action menu, select Settings. You can also select the virtual appliance and then right click and select Settings. The Settings window for the selected virtual appliance is displayed.
4. In the Settings window, under the hardware section, click on IDE Controller.
5. In the right window pane, select DVD Drive and click on Add. The DVD Drive is added under the IDE Controller section in the left window pane.
6. Select the DVD Drive added in step 5. In the right window pane, select the Image file radio button and click on Browse and select the ISO image that you copied on Hyper-V server in step 2.
7. Click Apply.
To configure virtual NICs on the NetScaler Virtual Appliance:
- Select the virtual appliance that you imported, and then on the Action menu, select Settings.
- In the Settings for <virtual appliance name> dialog box, click Add Hardware in the left pane.
- In the right pane, from the list of devices, select Network Adapter.
- Click Add.
- Verify that Network Adapter (not connected) appears in the left pane.
- Select the network adapter in the left pane.
- In the right pane, from the Network drop-down list, select the virtual network to connect the adapter to.
- To select the virtual network for additional network adapters that you want to use, repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
To configure NetScaler Virtual Appliance:
- Right-click the virtual appliance that you previously installed, and then select Start.
- Access the console by double-clicking the virtual appliance.
- Type the NetScaler IP address, subnet mask, and gateway for your virtual appliance.
You have completed the basic configuration of your virtual appliance. Type the IP address in a Web browser to access the virtual appliance.