Before you start the upgrade or downgrade process, make sure you check the following:
- The licensing framework and types of licenses. A software edition upgrade might require new licenses, such as upgrading from the standard edition to the enterprise edition, the standard edition to the platinum edition, or the enterprise edition to the platinum edition. Existing NetScaler licenses continue to work when you upgrade to version 12.0.For more information, see Licensing.
- Check for New and deprecated commands, parameters, and SNMP OIDs.
- Check for NetScaler Hardware and Software Compatibility Matrix.
- If the NetScaler Gateway logon page is customized, then make sure that the UI theme is set to default.
- Review the LOM Firmware Upgrade page, if you are upgrading LOM.
- Download the NetScaler firmware from the download page. For the detailed steps to download the NetScaler firmware, see the "How to download and update the NetScaler Firmware" section in this article CTX205476.
- Perform a back up of configuration file, customization file, certificates, monitor scripts, license files, and so on either manually or refer to the following documentation for back up using NetScaler CLI or GUI - Backing up and Restoring the NetScaler Appliance.
- Validate the integrity of the NetScaler Appliance and check available space before performing an upgrade. For more information about how to free up storage space, see https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX133588
For more information about prerequisites for upgrading or downgrading the NetScaler firmware, see these support articles: