NetScaler Gateway provides users with secure, remote access to XenApp, XenDesktop, and XenMobile applications across a range of devices including laptops, desktops, thin clients, tablets, and smart phones.
NetScaler Gateway as a Service enables secure, remote access to XenApp and XenDesktop applications, without having to deploy NetScaler Gateway in the perimeter network (also known as a DMZ) or reconfigure your firewall. The entire infrastructure overhead of using NetScaler Gateway moves to the cloud, where the cloud service is hosted by Citrix.
You enable NetScaler Gateway as a Service using a check box. Once it has been enabled, users can access their VDAs from outside their network, as shown in the following diagram.
By default, NetScaler Gateway as a Service is disabled.
To enable NetScaler Gateway as a Service:
- From the Citrix Cloud > Apps and Desktops menu, choose Manage > Service Delivery. The Service Delivery screen appears.
- Enable NetScaler Gateway.
- Choose Use cloud hosted Citrix NetScaler Gateway.
Be aware of the following limitations in the current service:
- The service is currently enabled only for use with HDX traffic as part of the XenApp and XenDesktop Service. Other NetScaler Gateway functionality is not enabled.
- The service is available on the eastern and western coasts of the United States, and in Europe. As HDX traffic travels through the service, users and/or XenApp or XenDesktop servers located outside those areas experience higher latency.
- The Citrix Cloud Connector located within your Citrix Cloud resource locations communicates with Citrix-run cloud services over the Internet. Currently this communication channel does not support authentication at outbound proxies for access to the Internet.
- All network traffic is protected by SSL, but to provide the NetScaler Gateway functionality, HDX traffic is present in memory in an unencrypted form.
- To use the NetScaler Gateway Service, you must use StoreFront hosted within the Citrix Cloud.
For more information about NetScaler Gateway, see the NetScaler Gateway product documentation on the Citrix documentation web site.