Manage image template
Whenever you create a new layer or add a new version to an existing one, you can:
- Update the layers selected in your image template(s).
- Use the template(s) to publish new versions of your layered images.
- Use the new layered images to manually provision your systems.
You can change or delete a template without affecting any previously published layered images, because an image is not associated with the template used to create it.
Update image templates with a new layer version
When you add a new version to an app layer or an OS layer, you can quickly identify the image templates that include the layer, and select which templates to update with the new version.
- In the App Layering management console, select Layers, and then select subtab for the type of layer you are updating.
- Select the Layer you updated, and click Update Assignments. In the wizard that opens, image templates that include this layer are listed.
- Select the new version of the layer that you want to assign.
- On the Image Template Assignment tab, select the image templates to which you want to assign the layer or layer version.
- If the list is empty, click the checkbox called, Show Image Templates already at this version. A list of grayed out names may appear. These templates have already been assigned the Version.
- Use the Search field to filter this list by Layer or Version.
- Skip the Elastic Assignment tab
- On the Confirm and Complete tab, verify your choices and click Update Assignments.
Edit any image template setting
When you want to change the settings that you use to publish any of your layered images, you can edit the image template you originally used to publish the layered image(s) and publish a new version of the image(s).
- In the App Layering management console, select the Images module.
- Select the template you want to edit, and click Edit Template. This opens the Edit Template wizard.
- On the Name and Description tab, you can change the Name, Description, and Icon for the Image.
- On the OS Layer tab, you can select a different version of your chosen OS layer by expanding the layer and choosing a different one.
- On the App Assignment tab, you can add or remove app layers to include in the layered images that you publish using this template. If there is more than one version of a layer, you can choose a different version by expanding the layer and choosing a different one.
- On the Connector tab, you can change the location to which the Layered Image is published by selecting a different Connector Configuration.
- On the Platform Layer tab, you can change the selected Platform Layer, if for example, you are publishing to a different environment.
- On the Layered Image Disk tab, you can edit the Layered Image Disk details, for example, to enable elastic layering on the image.
- On the Confirm and Complete tab, enter comments for this layer.
- Click Save Template Changes, or click Save Template and Publish to publish the layered images after saving the template.
Delete an image template
When you no longer need an image template, you can remove it from the management console.
An image template cannot be deleted while it is being used to publish layered images.
- In the management console, select the Images module.
- Select the template you want to delete, and click Delete Template. This opens the Delete Template wizard.
- In the Confirm and Complete tab, enter any comments you would like, and click Delete Template.