The App Layering virtual appliance runs on the supported hypervisors listed in this article. The appliance is where you deploy the Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM) during installation.
To use the appliance’s management console, you need a browser that supports Microsoft Silverlight.
You can create layers to use on virtually any hypervisor or provisioning software. For the best user experience, publish images to the supported platforms.
Hypervisors for the appliance
The Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM) runs on a virtual appliance deployed to a supported hypervisor.
The appliance and Connectors run in the following environments:
- Citrix Hypervisor, versions 6.5, 7.0–7.6, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2
- Azure Resource Manager
- Microsoft Hyper-V running on Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2019
- Generation 2 Virtual machines are supported when you use the Offload compositing feature.
- Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV), versions 5.0–5.5 (Prism Element only), 5.8, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, 5.15 (long-term support release), 5.16, 5.17
- vSphere vCenter, versions 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7, 7.0
- Generation 2 Virtual machines are supported on vSphere vCenter versions 6.7, 7.0 when you use the Offload compositing feature
Network file share protocol
- Server Message Block (SMB)
- Citrix recommends a 10 Gbps connection between the appliance and the file share.
- Microsoft Active Directory
Internet browser for management console
The management console supports the following web browsers with Microsoft Silverlight 4.0 or later:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Firefox version 45 and later
Operating system for layered images
You can layer the following versions of the Windows operating system. Windows Store apps work on all supported Windows versions.
Deploying Full User layers (for persisting user data and settings) requires a Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit environment.
Windows Server operating systems - The following session host versions are supported:
- Windows Server 2019, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2016, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
Desktop operating systems - The following desktop versions are supported:
- Windows 10, 64-bit, versions 2004, 1909, 1903, 1809, 1803, 1709, 1703, and 1607 (Education and Enterprise Editions)
- Windows 10, 64-bit, versions 2004, 1909, 1903, 1809, 1803 (Professional edition)
- Windows 7, 64-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
- Windows 7, 32-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
App Layering supports single-byte language packs for the base US English Windows operating system. It supports multi-byte language packs when the OS layer is deployed on supported versions of:
- Citrix Hypervisor
- VMware vSphere
- Microsoft Hyper-V
Install the language packs on the OS machine before importing the operating system into an OS layer. Language packs installed on an OS layer version do not work correctly.
Full User layers are supported on the following platforms:
- Operating systems:
- Windows 7, 64-bit
- Windows 10, 64-bit
- Publishing platforms:
- Citrix Virtual Desktops
- VMware Horizon View
Layered Images are bootable images composited from Layers. Each Layered Image contains an OS Layer, a Platform Layer, and any number of App Layers. You can publish layered images to these platforms:
- Machine Creation for Citrix Hypervisor (formerly Citrix MCS for XenServer)
- Machine Creation for Azure and Azure Government
- Machine Creation for vSphere
- Machine Creation for Nutanix AHV
- Citrix Provisioning, versions 2006, 2003, 1912, 1909, 1906, 1903, 1811, 7.15 CU6, and Provisioning Service (PVS), versions 7.6 LTSR
- Citrix recommends network speeds of 10 Gbps to the Provisioning store
- Provisioning Service (PVS), versions 7.1, 7.7–7.9, 7.11–7.18, 1808 are no longer supported.
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops, versions 7: 1808, 1811, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1912 (LTSR, CU1), 2003, 2006
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop, versions 6.5, 7.0–7.18, and 7.15 (LTSR, CU3 - CU6)
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Essentials for Azure
- Citrix Hypervisor (formerly Citrix XenServer)
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Nutanix Acropolis
- VMware vSphere
- VMware Horizon View, versions 6.x, 7.0.x, 7.1.x, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, 7.9, 7.11
Desktop provisioning and application delivery
You can use layered images for Persistent desktops, as long as you do not enable Elastic layering or User layers (Full or Office 365).
To enable User layers or Elastic layers, you must use Non-persistent machines.
Elastic layering does not support View Persona Management.