You can use the Citrix App Layering service to create layers for use in virtually any hypervisor and provisioning service. For best results, however, use the hypervisors, provisioning services, connection brokers listed in this article. The Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM), hereafter known as the App Layering virtual appliance, must be deployed to one of the hypervisors listed in this article. You also need a browser that supports Microsoft Silverlight.
Hypervisors for the appliance
The appliance and Connectors run in the following environments:
- Citrix XenServer 6.5, 7.0 - 7.6
- Azure Resource Manager
- Microsoft Hyper-V running on Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016
- Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) version 5.0 - 5.5 (Prism Element only), 5.8
- vSphere vCenter 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7
Network file share protocol
- Server Message Block (SMB)
- Citrix recommends a 10 Gpbs connection between the appliance and the file share.
- Microsoft Active Directory
Internet browser for management console
The management console supports the following web browsers with Microsoft Silverlight 4.0 or later:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Firefox version 45 and later
Operating system for layered images
You can layer the following versions of the Windows operating system. Windows Store apps work on all supported Windows versions.
Deploying Full User layers (for persisting user data and settings) requires a Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit environment.
- Windows Server operating systems - The following session host versions are supported.
- Windows Server 2016, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Desktop operating systems - The following desktop versions are supported.
- Windows 10, 64-bit, Versions 1803, 1709, 1703, and 1607 (Education and Enterprise Editions)
- Windows 10, Version 1803, 64-bit (Professional)
- Windows 7, 64-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
- Windows 7, 32-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
App Layering supports single-byte language packs for the base US English Windows operating system, and multi-byte language packs when the OS layer is deployed on supported versions of VMWare vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer. Install the language packs on the OS machine before importing the operating system into an OS layer. Language packs installed on a version added to the OS layer do not work correctly.
Full User layers are supported on the following platforms:
- Operating systems:
- Windows 7, 64-bit
- Windows 10, 64-bit
- Publishing platforms:
- Citrix XenDesktop
- VMware Horizon View
Layered Images are bootable images composited from Layers. Each Layered Image contains an OS Layer, a Platform Layer, and any number of App Layers. You can publish layered images to these platforms:
- Citrix MCS for XenServer
- Citrix MCS for Azure. Note: Support for Azure Government (azure.gov) is not included.
- Citrix MCS for vSphere
- Citrix MCS for Nutanix AHV
- Citrix PVS versions 7.1, 7.6 - 7.9, 7.11 - 7.18, and 1808. Citrix recommends network speeds to the PVS store of 10 Gb
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop versions 6.5, 7.0 - 7.18, version 7 1808, and 7.15 LTSR CU3
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop Essentials for Azure
- Citrix XenServer
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Nutanix Acropolis
- VMware vSphere
- VMware Horizon View versions 6.x, 7.0.x, 7.1.x, 7.2, 7.3, and 7.6
Desktop provisioning and application delivery
You can use layered images for Persistent desktops, as long as you do not enable Elastic layering or User layers (Full or Office 365). If you want to enable User layers or deliver applications elastically, you need to use Non-persistent machines.
Elastic layering does not support View Persona Management.