You can use the App Layering service to create layers for use in virtually any hypervisor and provisioning software, but for best results, use one of the following. The Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM) runs on a virtual appliance that you deploy to a supported hypervisor. You also need a browser that supports Microsoft Silverlight.
Hypervisors for the appliance
The appliance and Connectors run in the following environments:
- Citrix Hypervisor 6.5, 7.0–7.6, 8.0
- Azure Resource Manager
- Microsoft Hyper-V running on Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2019
- Generation 2 Virtual machines are now supported when you use the Offload compositing feature.
- Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) version 5.0–5.5 (Prism Element only), 5.8, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11
- vSphere vCenter 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7
Network file share protocol
- Server Message Block (SMB)
- Citrix recommends a 10 Gbps connection between the appliance and the file share.
- Microsoft Active Directory
Internet browser for management console
The management console supports the following web browsers with Microsoft Silverlight 4.0 or later:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Firefox version 45 and later
Operating system for layered images
You can layer the following versions of the Windows operating system. Windows Store apps work on all supported Windows versions.
Deploying Full User layers (for persisting user data and settings) requires a Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit environment.
Windows Server operating systems - The following session host versions are supported.
- Windows Server 2019, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2016, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
Desktop operating systems - The following desktop versions are supported.
- Windows 10, 64-bit, Versions 1903, 1809, 1803, 1709, 1703, and 1607 (Education and Enterprise Editions)
- Windows 10, 64-bit, Version 1903, 1809, 1803 (Professional edition)
- Windows 7, 64-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
- Windows 7, 32-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
App Layering supports single-byte language packs for the base US English Windows operating system, and multi-byte language packs when the OS layer is deployed on supported versions of Citrix Hypervisor, VMware vSphere, and Microsoft Hyper-V. Install the language packs on the OS machine before importing the operating system into an OS layer. Language packs installed on a version added to the OS layer do not work correctly.
Full User layers are supported on the following platforms:
- Operating systems:
- Windows 7, 64-bit
- Windows 10, 64-bit
- Publishing platforms:
- Citrix Virtual Desktops
- VMware Horizon View
Layered Images are bootable images composited from Layers. Each Layered Image contains an OS Layer, a Platform Layer, and any number of App Layers. You can publish layered images to these platforms:
- Machine Creation for Citrix Hypervisor (formerly Citrix MCS for XenServer)
- Machine Creation for Azure and Azure Government
- Machine Creation for vSphere
- Machine Creation for Nutanix AHV
Citrix Provisioning, 1811, 1903, 1906, 1909, and previous versions named, Provisioning Service (PVS) 7.1, 7.6–7.9, 7.11–7.18, 1808.
Citrix recommends network speeds to the Provisioning store of 10 Gbps
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops (formerly Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop) versions 7 1808, 7 1811, 7 1903, 7 1906, 7 1909
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop versions 6.5, 7.0–7.18, and 7.15 LTSR CU3, 7.15 LTSR CU4, and 7.15 LTSR CU5
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Essentials for Azure
- Citrix Hypervisor (formerly Citrix XenServer)
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Nutanix Acropolis
- VMware vSphere
- VMware Horizon View versions 6.x, 7.0.x, 7.1.x, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, and 7.9
Desktop provisioning and application delivery
You can use layered images for Persistent desktops, as long as you do not enable Elastic layering or User layers (Full or Office 365).
To enable User layers or Elastic layers, you must use Non-persistent machines.
Elastic layering does not support View Persona Management.