You can use the Citrix App Layering service to create layers for use in virtually any hypervisor and provisioning service. For best results, however, use the hypervisors, provisioning services, connection brokers listed in this article. The Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM), hereafter known as the App Layering virtual appliance, must be deployed to one of the hypervisors listed in this article. You also need a browser that supports Microsoft Silverlight.
Hypervisors for the appliance
The appliance and Connectors run in the following environments:
- Citrix Hypervisor 6.5, 7.0 - 7.6
- Azure Resource Manager
Microsoft Hyper-V running on Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016
Generation 2 Virtual machines are not supported.
- Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) version 5.0 - 5.5 (Prism Element only), 5.8, 5.9
- vSphere vCenter 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7
Network file share protocol
- Server Message Block (SMB)
- Citrix recommends a 10 Gbps connection between the appliance and the file share.
- Microsoft Active Directory
Internet browser for management console
The management console supports the following web browsers with Microsoft Silverlight 4.0 or later:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Firefox version 45 and later
Operating system for layered images
You can layer the following versions of the Windows operating system. Windows Store apps work on all supported Windows versions.
Deploying Full User layers (for persisting user data and settings) requires a Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit environment.
- Windows Server operating systems - The following session host versions are supported.
- Windows Server 2016, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Desktop operating systems - The following desktop versions are supported.
- Windows 10, 64-bit, Versions 1803, 1709, 1703, and 1607 (Education and Enterprise Editions)
- Windows 10, 64-bit, Version 1803 (Professional)
- Windows 7, 64-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
- Windows 7, 32-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
App Layering supports single-byte language packs for the base US English Windows operating system, and multi-byte language packs when the OS layer is deployed on supported versions of VMWare vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Citrix Hypervisor. Install the language packs on the OS machine before importing the operating system into an OS layer. Language packs installed on a version added to the OS layer do not work correctly.
Full User layers are supported on the following platforms:
- Operating systems:
- Windows 7, 64-bit
- Windows 10, 64-bit
- Publishing platforms:
- Citrix Virtual Desktops
- VMware Horizon View
Layered Images are bootable images composited from Layers. Each Layered Image contains an OS Layer, a Platform Layer, and any number of App Layers. You can publish layered images to these platforms:
- Machine Creation for Citrix Hypervisor (formerly Citrix MCS for XenServer)
- Machine Creation for Azure. Note: Support for Azure Government (azure.gov) is not included.
- Machine Creation for vSphere
- Machine Creation for Nutanix AHV
Citrix Provisioning version 1811.
Citrix recommends network speeds to the Provisioning store of 10 Gbps.
Citrix Provisioning Service (PVS) versions 7.1, 7.6 - 7.9, 7.11 - 7.18, and 1808.
Citrix recommends network speeds to the Citrix Provisioning store of 10 Gbps.
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops (formerly Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop) versions 7 1808, 7 1811.
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop versions 6.5, 7.0 - 7.18, and 7.15 LTSR CU3
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Essentials for Azure
- Citrix Hypervisor (formerly Citrix XenServer)
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Nutanix Acropolis
- VMware vSphere
- VMware Horizon View versions 6.x, 7.0.x, 7.1.x, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, and 7.6
Desktop provisioning and application delivery
You can use layered images for Persistent desktops, as long as you do not enable Elastic layering or User layers (Full or Office 365). If you want to enable User layers or deliver applications elastically, you need to use Non-persistent machines.
Elastic layering does not support View Persona Management.