You can use Citrix App Layering appliance, also known as Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM) in virtually any hypervisor environment, but it is designed to support the hypervisors, provisioning services, connection brokers, and Windows operating systems listed in this article. You also need a browser that supports Microsoft Silverlight.
The ELM, hereafter referred to as the appliance, is a virtual appliance that runs on your hypervisor. Once installed, you can configure the appliance and begin creating layers.
The appliance and Connectors run in the following environments:
- Citrix XenServer 6.5, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3
- Azure Resource Manager
- Microsoft Hyper-V running on Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016
- Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) version 5.0 - 5.5 (Prism Element only)
- vSphere vCenter 5.5.x, 6.0.x, 6.5.x
The management console supports the following web browsers with Microsoft Silverlight 4.0 support:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Firefox version 45 and later
You can layer the following versions of the Windows operating system.
- Windows Server operating systems - The following desktop versions are supported.
- Windows Server 2016, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit (Standard and Datacenter Editions)
- Desktop operating systems - The following desktop versions are supported.
- Windows 10, Creator's Update 1703 and version 1607, 64-bit (Education, Enterprise editions)
Notes: Store apps must be disabled, and this is possible only on Windows 10 Education and Enterprise.
- Windows 7, 64-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
- Windows 7, 32-bit (Enterprise and Professional Editions)
App Layering supports single-byte language packs for the base US English Windows operating system. Install the language packs on the operating system machine before importing the operating system into a layer. Language packs installed on a version added to the OS layer do not work correctly.
Layered Images are bootable images composited from Layers. Each Layered Image contains an OS Layer, a Platform Layer, and any number of App Layers. You can publish layered images to these platforms:
- Citrix MCS for XenServer
- Citrix MCS for Azure
- Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop Essentials for Azure
- Citrix MCS for vSphere
- Citrix MCS for Nutanix AHV
- Citrix Provisioning Services (PVS) versions 7.1, 7.6 - 7.9, and 7.11 - 7.16. Citrix recommends network speeds to the Provisioning Services store of 10 Gb
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop versions 6.5 and 7.0 - 7.16
- Microsoft Azure
- VMware Horizon View versions 6.x, 7.0.x, 7.1.x, 7.2, 7.3