Customer license and usage monitoring for Citrix DaaS
Customers of Citrix Service Providers (CSP) can easily monitor Citrix DaaS licenses for their users in Citrix Cloud. As a CSP, you can access these details by signing in to your customer’s account in Citrix Cloud. To view aggregated license usage information across single-tenant and multitenant customers, see Cloud service license usage and reporting for Citrix Service Providers.
Customers can view their licensing data by selecting Licensing from the Citrix Cloud menu.
User/Device licensing model: Citrix Cloud assigns a license when a unique customer user launches an app or desktop for the first time within the current month.
Concurrent User licensing model: Citrix Cloud assigns a license when a user launches an app or desktop on their device. When the user logs off or disconnects from the session, the license is no longer assigned. Because license assignment can change depending on the number of devices accessing apps or desktops at any given time, Citrix Cloud evaluates the number of licenses in use every five minutes.
For more information about the Concurrent licensing model, see Concurrent licenses in the Licensing product documentation.
Citrix Cloud displays summary views of licenses in use under the User/Device and Concurrent User licensing models.
For the User/Device model, the licensing summary provides an at-a-glance view of the licenses that are in use relative to the total number of licenses that you own.
As the percentage approaches 100%, the percentage goes from green to yellow. If the percentage exceeds 100%, the percentage turns red.
Citrix Cloud also displays the ratio of assigned licenses to purchased licenses and the number of remaining available licenses.
For the Concurrent User model, the licensing summary provides an at-a-glance view of the following information:
- Percentage of total purchased licenses currently in use when Citrix Cloud last evaluated the licenses in use. Citrix Cloud calculates this percentage every five minutes based on unique devices with active connections to the service. The quantity of total purchased licenses is the sum of licenses that have been purchased for Citrix DaaS that use the Concurrent licensing model.
- The ratio of currently assigned licenses to total purchased licenses and the number of available licenses remaining. The Total figure shown in this ratio represents the total number of licenses that are currently owned (as of the “Last Reported” date and time).
- Peak usage statistics. In calculating peak licenses in use, Citrix Cloud retrieves the the maximum number of licenses used in the following time periods:
- Last 24 hours: The maximum number of licenses used at one time during the last 24-period period.
- This Month: The maximum number of licenses used at one time from the start of the current calendar month.
- All Time: The maximum number of licenses used at one time from the start of the subscription.
The Total figure shown for these peak usage periods represents the total number of licenses that were owned at that point in time. If the total number of owned licenses increases or decreases, and there’s a corresponding increase in assigned licenses, the Total figure changes to reflect the new number of owned licenses for that point in time. However, if there is no corresponding usage peak, the Total figure does not change.
- Active use statistics. Citrix Cloud displays the total number of unique connections for the following periods:
- Monthly: The total number of connections for the previous calendar month.
- Daily: The total number of connections for the previous 24 hours. These figures are also represented as percentages of the total number of licenses owned during these periods.
To accurately reflect the Concurrent licensing model, Citrix Cloud counts the number of unique devices accessing the service simultaneously every five minutes. If the count is greater than the current peak usage displayed, Citrix Cloud displays the new peak usage with the date and time that it was reached. If the count is less than the current peak usage, the current peak usage doesn’t change.
If you use Monitor in Director for information about concurrent sessions, be aware that the Monitor report provides a different interpretation of concurrent sessions and does not accurately reflect the number of Concurrent User licenses in use. For more information about the differences between Monitor reports and Licensing reports, see the FAQ.
At the beginning of each month, Citrix Cloud takes a snapshot of the previous calendar month. Citrix Cloud displays the total number of unique connections that occurred during that calendar month.
At the same time each day, Citrix Cloud takes a snapshot of the previous 24 hours. Citrix Cloud displays the total number of unique connections that occurred during that 24-hour period.
Citrix Cloud displays a breakdown of usage trends for either User/Device or Concurrent User licenses. To view this breakdown, select View Usage Details from the licensing summary page.
For User/Devices licenses, the Usage Trends section shows you a breakdown of assigned licenses as a chart.
Pointing to an interval on the chart shows you the following information:
- Total Licenses: Your total purchased licenses for the cloud service across all entitlements.
- Previously Assigned: The number of licenses that were assigned in the previous month. For example, a user accesses the cloud service for the first time in July and is assigned a license. This license is counted as “Newly Assigned” for the month of July. For the month of August, this license is counted as “Previously Assigned.”
- Newly Assigned: The number of new licenses that were assigned for each month. For example, a user accesses the cloud service for the first time in July and is assigned a license. This license is counted as “Newly Assigned” for the month of July.
For Concurrent User licenses, the Usage Trends section shows you the following information:
- Total Licenses: Your total purchased Concurrent licenses.
Peak Licenses In Use: The maximum number of licenses assigned for the date range that you select. By default, Citrix Cloud displays peak usage for each month in the current calendar year. To drill down to monthly or hourly peak usage, select the calendar month or day you want to view from the drop-down menu.
If the date range you select isn’t yet finished, Citrix Cloud displays the current peak usage for the latest interval of time. For example, if you drill down to view a calendar day that’s still in progress, the maximum number of licenses is displayed for each hour up to the current moment in time. If the maximum number of licenses increases at the next five-minute counting interval, Citrix Cloud updates the peak usage for the current hour.
Active Use displays a chart of the following information:
- Daily: The total number of connections for each day during the previous 30 days.
- Monthly: The total number of connections for each month during the previous calendar year.
Pointing to an interval on the License Assignment or Active Use charts reveals the details for that interval.
The License Activity section displays a list of the individual customer users who have licenses assigned during the current month. This list also displays the domain to which each user belongs, the date when a license was assigned, and the last time the service was used.
Monthly release of licenses
On the first day of each month, assigned licenses from the previous month are released automatically. When this happens, the number of assigned licenses resets to zero and the list of licensed customer users is cleared. Licenses are re-assigned when users launch apps or desktops for the first time within the new month.
Review monthly license history
On the first day of each month, the list of licensed customer users from the previous month, under License Activity, is cleared when the number of assigned licenses resets to zero. However, you can access user details from previous months at any time and download them as a CSV file, if needed.
- In the License Activity section, select View License History at the far right of the section.
- Select the month you want to view. A list of the user details for the selected month appears.
- To export the list, select Export to CSV at the far right of the section and then save the file.
Export license details
At any time, customers can export licensed user details to a CSV file for further analysis. The customer can then use the CSV file as needed to analyze the license details.
To export the current month’s details, in the License Activity section, select Export to CSV at the far right of the section and then save the file.
To export the details for previous months, generate a list for a selected month as described in Review monthly license history. Select Export to CSV and save the file.