Fortville NICs firmware upgrade on Citrix ADC MPX appliances
Upgrade the firmware on Citrix ADC MPX appliances containing Fortville NICs to remediate https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX263807.
- Before upgrading the NIC firmware to version 7.00, you must upgrade the Citrix ADC MPX appliance to a software version that supports the new firmware. The following versions support firmware version 7.00.
- 11.1 build 64.x and later
- 12.1 build 56.x and later
Important: Do not downgrade the software version to a build earlier to these builds.
The firmware upgrade is not supported on software version 13.0.
The following script must be present in the
If the script is not present, the installed ADC software image does not support the firmware upgrade.
- The following scripts must be present in the
If these scripts are not present, at the command prompt, run
installnsto install these files. The files are included with all ADC software that supports this firmware upgrade.
The firmware upgrade scripts are supported on all Citrix ADC MPX platforms containing Fortville NICs. The scripts verify if the appliance contains Fortville NICs and exit if none is found.
Note: These firmware upgrade scripts are not supported on the Citrix ADC SDX platform.
The following MPX appliances contain Fortville NICs:
- MPX 26000
- MPX 26000-50S
Upgrade the firmware
- The upgrade script takes the appliance off the network. The time taken to complete the offline NIC firmware upgrade varies by platform. For example, on an MPX 14000 platform with 6 Fortville NICs, the total time to upgrade is around 30 min.
- After updating the firmware, ensure that the software version on the appliance supports the new firmware.
The firmware upgrade scripts upgrade the NIC firmware to version 7.00. This upgrade is performed on Fortville 10G and 40G NICs manufactured by Silicom or Intel, and Fortville 25G NICs manufactured by Silicom.
- After updating the firmware version on the NIC to 7.00 you cannot downgrade the NIC to an earlier version.
- Upgrading some Fortville NICs might take multiple attempts. For example, updating some NICs to firmware version 7.00 might take up to three attempts.
To upgrade the firmware, at the command prompt type:
> shell root@ns# cd /netscaler root@ns# sh upgrade_fortville_nics.sh
By default, the firmware is upgraded to version 7.00.
fortville_fw_update_state_machine has run, it deletes the
/nsconfig/rc.local files and exits.
- By deleting the
/nsconfig/.developerfile, the Citrix ADC software comes up on reboot.
- By deleting the
fortville_fw_update_state_machinescript is not invoked on reboot.
After reboot, Citrix ADC software is up and the firmware upgrade process is complete.
After firmware upgrade, the log file
upgrade_fortville_nic_fw.log in the
/var/log directory, contains a detailed record of the firmware upgrade activities. Among other information, it records the duration of the firmware update process.
Also, the file
.fortville_firmware_upgrade_parm_file, in directory
/var/tmp/Fortville_Silicom_Intel/scripts, is not deleted. You can examine it for information about the firmware upgrade.
fortville_nic_info script can be invoked to print an informational summary about the Fortville NICs in the host ADC appliance. The information is recorded in the log file.
To run the script, at the command prompt, type:
> shell root@ns# cd /var/tmp/Fortville_Silicom_Intel/scripts root@ns# sh fortville_nic_info