Follow this guidance when using Nutanix Acropolis to provide virtual machines in your XenApp or XenDesktop deployment. The setup process includes the following tasks:
- Install and register the Nutanix plugin in your XenApp or XenDesktop environment.
- Create a connection to the Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor.
- Create a Machine Catalog that uses a snapshot of a master image you created on the Nutanix hypervisor.
For more information, see the Nutanix Acropolix MCS Plugin Installation Guide, available at the Nutanix Support Portal: https://portal.nutanix.com.
For support information regarding Nutanix and Provisioning Services, see Knowledge Center article CTX131239.
After you install the XenApp or XenDesktop components, complete the following procedure to install and register the Nutanix plugin on the Delivery Controllers. You will then be able to use Studio to create a connection to the Nutanix hypervisor and then create a Machine Catalog that uses a snapshot of a master image you created in the Nutanix environment.
- Obtain the Nutanix plugin from Nutanix, and install it on the Delivery Controllers.
- Verify that a Nutanix Acropolis folder has been created in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citrix\HCLPlugins\CitrixMachineCreation\v126.96.36.199.
- Run C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citrix\HCLPlugins\RegisterPlugins.exe –PluginsRoot “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citrix\HCLPlugins\CitrixMachineCreation\v188.8.131.52”.
- Restart the Citrix Host Service, Citrix Broker Service, and Citrix Machine Creation Service.
- Run the following PowerShell cmdlets to verify that the Nutanix Acropolis plugin has been registered:
See the Create a Site and Connections and resources articles for complete information about all pages in the wizards that create a connection.
In the Site Setup or Add Connection and Resources wizard, select the Nutanix connection type on the Connection page, and then specify the hypervisor address and credentials, plus a name for the connection. On the Network page, select a network for the hosting unit.
This information is a supplement to the guidance in the Create Machine Catalogs article. It describes only the fields that are unique to Nutanix.
The snapshot you select is the template that will be used to create the VMs in the Machine Catalog. Before creating the Machine Catalog, create images and snapshots in Nutanix.
- For information about master images in general, see the Create Machine Catalogs article.
- For Nutanix procedures for creating images and snapshots, see the Nutanix documentation referenced above.
The Operating System and Machine Management pages do not contain Nutanix-specific information. Follow the guidance in the Create Machine Catalogs article.
On the Container page, which is unique to Nutanix, select the container where the VMs' disks will be placed.
On the Master Image page, select the image snapshot. Acropolis snapshot names must be prefixed with "XD_" to be used in XenApp and XenDesktop. Use the Acropolis console to rename your snapshots, if needed. If you rename snapshots, restart the Create Catalog wizard to see a refreshed list.
On the Virtual Machines page, indicate the number of virtual CPUs and the number of cores per vCPU.
The Network Cards, Computer Accounts, and Summary pages do not contain Nutanix-specific information. Follow the guidance in the Create Machine Catalogs article.