Upgrading changes deployments to the newest component versions without having to set up new machines or Sites; this is known as an in-place upgrade. You can upgrade to the current version from:
- XenDesktop 5.6 *
- XenDesktop 7.0
- XenDesktop 7.1
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.5
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.6
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.6 LTSR
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.7
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.8
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.9
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.11
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.12
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.13
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.14
- XenApp/XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR
You can also upgrade a XenApp 6.5 worker server to a current VDA for Windows Server OS. This is a supplementary activity to migrating XenApp 6.5. See Upgrade a XenApp 6.5 worker to a new VDA for Windows Server OS
- Run the installer on the machines where the core components and VDAs are installed. The software determines if an upgrade is available and installs the newer version.
- Use the newly upgraded Studio to upgrade the database and the Site.
* To upgrade from XenDesktop 5.6, first upgrade to 7.6 LTSR (with the latest CU), and then upgrade to 7.15 LTSR (with the latest CU).
For more information, see Upgrade a deployment.
For information about installing Controller hotfixes, see CTX201988.
Migrating moves data from an earlier deployment to the newest version. You can migrate a XenApp 6 deployment. Migrating includes installing current components and creating a new Site, exporting data from the older farm, and then importing the data to the new Site.
Tip: For information about architecture, component, and feature changes that were introduced with the 7.x releases, see Changes in 7.x.
To migrate from XenApp 6.5:
- Install core components and create a new XenApp Site.
- From the XenApp 6.5 controller, use PowerShell cmdlets to export policy and/or farm data to XML files. You can edit the XML file content to tailor the information you will import.
- From the new Site, use PowerShell cmdlets and the XML files to import policy and/or application data to the new Site.
- Complete post-migration tasks on the new Site.
For more information, see Migrate XenApp 6.x.