Bidirectional content redirection policy settings
The bidirectional content redirection section contains policy settings to enable or disable client to host and host to client URL redirection. Server policies are set in Studio, and client policies are set from the Citrix Workspace app Group Policy Object administration template.
Though Citrix also offers host to client redirection and Local App Access for client to URL redirection, we recommend that you use bidirectional content redirection for domain-joined Windows clients.
Bidirectional content redirection requires Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 1808 or XenApp or XenDesktop 7.13 and later plus Citrix Workspace app 1808 or later or Citrix Receiver for Windows 4.7 and later.
- Ensure that redirection rules don’t result in a looping configuration. For example, client rules at the VDA are set to https://www.citrix.com, and VDA rules at the client are set to the same URL possibly resulting in infinite looping.
- We support only domain joined endpoints.
- URL redirection supports only explicit URLs (URLs displayed in the browser address bar or found using the in-browser navigation, depending on the browser). We don’t support link shorteners.
- Bidirectional content redirection supports only Internet Explorer 8 through 11. Internet Explorer must be used on both the user device and the VDA.
- The Internet Explorer browser add-on is required for Bidirectional Content Redirection. For more information, see Register browser add-ons.
- No fallback mechanism is present if redirection fails due to session start issues.
- If two applications with same display name are configured with multiple StoreFront accounts, one display name in the primary StoreFront account is used to start.
- Supports only Citrix Workspace app for Windows.
- A new browser window appears only when the URL is redirected to the client. When the URL is redirected to the VDA and the browser is already open, the redirected URL opens in a new tab.
- Supports embedded links in files including documents, emails, and PDFs.
- This feature works on both desktop sessions and application sessions, unlike Local App Access URL redirection, which works only on desktop sessions.
- If Local App Access is enabled for URL redirection (either at the VDA or client), bidirectional content redirection does not take effect.
Host to client and host to host redirection
Use Studio to configure the host to client (client) and host to host (VDA) redirection policies.
By default, bidirectional content redirection is Prohibited.
To enable bidirectional content redirection
When you include URLs, you can specify one URL or a semi-colon delimited list of URLs. You can use an asterisk (*) as a wildcard in the domain name. For example:
- Start Citrix Studio.
- Open the Bidirectional Content Redirection policy.
- Select Allow Bidirectional Content Redirection, choose Allowed, and OK. If you do not allow this option, you are unable to complete this procedure.
- Select Allowed URLs to be redirected to Client and specify a URL, a list of URLs, or choose the default value.
- Select Allowed URLs to be redirected to VDA and specify a URL, a list of URLs, or choose the default value.
Client to host (VDA) and client to client redirection
Use Citrix Workspace app Group Policy Object administrative template to configure client to host (VDA) and client to client (client) redirection.
To enable bidirectional content redirection
When you include URLs, you can specify one URL or a semi-colon delimited list of URLs. You can use an asterisk (*) as a wildcard.
For more information, see Configuring bidirectional content redirection in the Citrix Workspace app documentation.
Register browser add-ons
The Internet Explorer browser add-on is required for Bidirectional Content Redirection.
You can use the following commands to register and unregister Internet Explorer add-on:
- To register Internet Explorer add-on on a client device: <client-installation-folder>\redirector.exe /regIE
- To unregister Internet Explorer add-on on a client device: <client-installation-folder>\redirector.exe /unregIE
- To register Internet Explorer add-on on a VDA: <VDAinstallation-folder>\VDARedirector.exe /regIE
- To unregister Internet Explorer add-on on a VDA: <VDAinstallation-folder>\VDARedirector.exe /unregIE
For example, the following command registers Internet Explorer add-on on a device running Citrix Workspace app.
C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\redirector.exe/regIE
The following command registers Internet Explorer add-on on a Windows Server OS VDA.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\System32\VDARedirector.exe /regIE