Citrix licensing is a system of components that functions together. Before you use any of your Citrix products, learn about licensing components. Citrix licensing system includes:
- License Server
- License files
- Citrix Licensing Manager
- Licensing Services:
- Citrix Web Services for Licensing
- Citrix Licensing Support Service
- Citrix Licensing WMI
- CITRIX vendor daemon
- Product-side settings in your Citrix products that are associated with the License Server.
For more information about licensing components, see Citrix licensing technical overview.
License Server overview
License Servers are computers that are partly or completely dedicated to store and manage licenses. If you attempt to connect to a device Citrix product requests licenses from a License Server. Every Citrix product environment must have at least one shared or dedicated License Server. Servers running Citrix products contact the License Server to obtain licenses.
If you connect to a Citrix product, it draws licenses from the License Server. The Citrix product requests to check out a license from the License Server on behalf of the user or client device. When the license is checked out, you can access a product’s feature and functionality based on the license type and edition.
Citrix ADC and Citrix Gateway do not obtain licenses from the Citrix License Server. For more information about the product-specific licensing, see Product-specific licensing information.
The following image shows the Citrix products, License Server, Citrix Licensing Manager, and consoles workflow:
- 1- User devices connect to a Citrix product.
- 2-Citrix products request to check out licenses from the License Server for the user or client devices.
- 3-Citrix Licensing Manager is an administrative web interface used to manage the License Server.
- 4-Consoles (such as Studio and Director) can connect to a License Server to monitor license use, see alerts and other licensing configuration.
Depending on the size and configuration of your product deployment, you might deploy licensing on a server shared with other applications, a dedicated License Server, or multiple License Servers. For more information, see License optimization.
License files must be on the License Server that is associated with the product you’re licensing. The product must be configured to communicate with that specific License Server. The Citrix Licensing Manager lets you manage and monitor your Citrix licenses by providing a user interface to the License Server. You can view licenses and alerts, import license files, create historical usage reports, and manage License Server settings.